CoinOPS 2 (old dev site)

BritneysPAIRS

non global settings will never happen for me as my stuff is dymatic eg you can move it from sd to hd and do nothing at all it all corrects its self

theres no way I want to setup 1000s of games and keep swapping between sd and hd ready tvs

It makes more sense to set a game once and be done with it than to have to disable pixel perfect *every* time a game doesn't fit the screen properly. If you don't like per game settings yourself then why not add a global override? Then everyone can be happy. Personally, I find automated systems inferior just like the example I gave in my previous post.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For maximum customization, per game settings are necessary. The only question is whether or not Brit is willing to add this feature. Brit's on the cusp of becoming the *first* on the scene to reach Xport quality imo, so I can't see him ignoring this feature for too much longer. You guys just need to let him know.

Well,

I used to think exactly the same. I used to pester BP to have custom settings per game.

I used to lose nights of sleep hacking CoinOPS in several different installations just to

have the games running under pixel perfect settings.

I am the most lunatic pixel perfect and correct aspect ratio lover on face of the earth,

and I assure you, my friend. CoinOPS is right on the spot now. I tested arcade game

by arcade game, title by title, and all the time when the overscan happens, it is fully

acceptable. Nothing really critical is lost on the image cropping...

...OF COURSE, TALKING ABOUT ARCADE GAMES.

I see you point when you mention that Dragon Quest games have been badly affected

by the overscan, and I understand this is a really awful situation, since Dragon Quest

series is one of my favorite of all time... but then I suggest - keep playing classic

console games on the Xport emulators. I do that myself, I don't like to mix things

much. For me CoinOPS will ever be a ARCADE EMULATOR... My mind can't deal

with the idea of opening a MAME emu to play Yo Noid!

=D

Hope you get my point, its just how I feel about it.

CoinOPS became a piece of art, a superb marvelous jewel.

The best of all time!

Cheers, brother!

Let's play DQ3 translated to English on Xport's.

Ha ha!

Regards,

Cospefogo.

What about arcade games with oddball resolutions? Unlike console systems, arcade games don't follow a single standard. On an SDTV with 480i, there isn't much real estate to work with. If there's too much overscan at 2x -- you're screwed. What do you do when that happens? Play with a chunk of screen missing or play with the screen so small that you need a magnifying glass?

Even when a game is playable with overscan, sometimes that game would look better if moved up or down a few pixels. I'm not sure if there's a single emulator from Xport that I didn't have to fine tune at least one game for. What happens when you have friends or family over and the game they're playing doesn't fit the screen properly? They need *you* to fix it for them. Great. Why not just set it one time and never think about it again?

You guys have permission to steal my stuff now that it's up. Just be sure to give a shout out when you do. :)

Ah, but if you're granting permission, it's not really stealing then is it?

;)

Exactly bud, and that's going to be my excuse when the Fedaralies come knocking at my door. That jury is getting one HUGE Robin Hood card thrown at them. :)

I've never been happy with the prospect of all of my roms or possibly other things being renamed and engulfed by the Umbrella Corporation known as BP Enterprises, but I also know there is nothing I can do to stop it once they're out there. I can't tell you how many countless sources I've "stolen" from to get this all put together (although I will try very hard to in the "Thanks" doc, that I have yet to make and put on the releases). I'm just hoping that the fact that I did all of this with my free time for ZERO dollars is enough to exonerate me if push ever comes to shove....

Just letting it be known that I won't be sore about it as long as credit is given where it's due.

BP's team and mine are truly making video game history here. I just want the history books to read right. :)

Later,

~Rx

Even when a game is playable with overscan, sometimes that game would look better if moved up or down a few pixels. I'm not sure if there's a single emulator from Xport that I didn't have to fine tune at least one game for. What happens when you have friends or family over and the game they're playing doesn't fit the screen properly? They need *you* to fix it for them. Great. Why not just set it one time and never think about it again?

Yes, I understand your point, but in my opinion,

my personal way of thinking, CoinOPS is fine

the way it is now. 100 times better than it

was in the past, and 10000 times better than

any other MAME emu.

My collection of arcade games is around 700 titles,

and the overscan under 2X really does not bother

me at all.

An yes, I would like to be able to slide the screen anytime,

for some game or another, but since this will not be possible,

I did take it out from my mind for quite some time.

Peace, man!

Regards,

Cospefogo.

Yes, I understand your point, but in my opinion,

my personal way of thinking, CoinOPS is fine

the way it is now. 100 times better than it

was in the past, and 10000 times better than

any other MAME emu.

My collection of arcade games is around 700 titles,

and the overscan under 2X really does not bother

me at all.

An yes, I would like to be able to slide the screen anytime,

for some game or another, but since this will not be possible,

I did take it out from my mind for quite some time.

Peace, man!

Regards,

Cospefogo.

Ok. Well if all you're saying is that it's better than it was before, then sure, I agree with that. We couldn't even use point filtering at all before and now we finally can. It's been a long time coming.

I'd also like to point out to Brit that I appreciate your attempt to solve the problem. This is meant as constructive criticism and not an attempt to attack you personally. I say this knowing how sensitive you can be about this stuff.

I'm just trying to point out that it's not a complete solution to the problem. It's great for games that can fit nicely within the 2-3x multiple, but it's not useful at all for games that do not. Even games with a little over scan sometimes need a little adjustment. Wouldn't it be more useful if the user could center the screen properly on a per game basis rather than by some predetermined math formula?

Games that don't fit means we have to disable the pixel perfect modes and re-enable the bilinear filtering and then back to pixel perfect mode and point filtering when finished. What if you have company over? They shouldn't have to know all of that stuff just to play some games properly. That's why I never understood why emulation ports have strayed so far from Xport's gui. He got it right years ago. Why re-invent the wheel?

That said, if Brit could combine his Pixel Perfect system with some per-game settings he'd have the best screensizing system around, bar-none.

That said, if Brit could combine his Pixel Perfect system with some per-game settings he'd have the best screensizing system around, bar-none.

Hey Zhoul,

Yes yes, I am absolutely in concordance with you...

But I think BP will not work on that. He already stated that sooo many time before.

Unfortunately we will have to find other ways to achieve our personal goals.

Me, for example, even with this super-duper new pixel perfect CoinOPS, I still keep

6 different installs in my Xbox.

1. CoinOPS Lucky 7

Covers all games *different* from 320 and 304 pixels in width, and runs

with 10x11 pixel aspect ratio OFF. We have here also the 384 games

with the fix-width trick turned on.

2. CoinOPS 10x11

Covers all games in *exact* 320 and 304 pixels in width, running under 10x11

pixel aspect ratio. Why that? Simple, 10x11 on 320 games simply clears/fix the

left and right overscan almost perfectly. And why I did add the 304 to

the group? Simple, 304 + 320 are all the NeoGeo games. I wanted to

keep all of them together. It was not good to have Samurai Shodown 1

and 3 in one CoinOPS and Samurai 2, 4 and 5 in another.

Why not having the games from the first group merged here also?

Because the first group games are all narrow than 320 and 304 in width,

and there is no need to make them yet smaller in width by the 10x11

pixel aspect ratio. And one more thing... 10x11 requires emu reboot,

so it's annoying to keep rebooting anytime you need or don't need the 10x11.

3. CoinOPS Vertical Shmups

A separated CoinOPS with all the shmups that are really vertical, I

mean, the ones that we really need to set to autorotate to be able

to get pixel perfect. Raiden does not fit here because it works

fine on the CoinOPS #1, with acceptable overscan on its top border.

So, as you may notice, I needed to manually separate the topdown

shooters that do not need to be rotated to get pixel perfect

from this group.

4. CoinOPS Capcom only

I wanted to separate all the Capcom from the other games to better

check for problems or abnormalities on all 384 trick. And some games

are even playable with 384 fix OFF.

And two more? Yes... I still keep one CoinOPS for Contra and other for Super Contra.

The screen can't be centered for those, it need to bottom positioned.

And they are tooo tall. CoinOPS PixPerfect does not "cover" them.

And I am thinking in implement a 5th one, just for PunchOut and Super PunchOUT.

They are nice games. Will use the same method used for Contra and Super Contra.

Always on the eternal *workaround* when dealing with Arcade Games...

=D

Cospefogo.