First ROM you ever played?

Alpha

For me I think it was: Street Fighter Alpha 2.

...and wOw that was a good game. I also got it from MAME.DK (this was all before Marvel Vs. Capcom was playable and also Marvel Vs. Street Fighter). After I started lurking on forums looking for links in roms and stuff. The first forum I headed to was A@H (there was only 1 banner ad at this time and it was on the top with no popups). I noticed like 20 WWF No Mercy request threads for N64. So I did my little search on the net and I found it! I posted the link on A@H and wola: GameCop was known! I then made a request a rom thread and it went to 25 pages and over 50,000 views. It was and still is the biggest thread in the forum. After I let Somebody lead the thread and then a little after we both came to my new site which is here. So it was kind of like a big obstacle course right after my first rom. :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I don't even remember. It was either a ColecoVision game like Donkey Kong or a MAME early arcade game like Donkey Kong, or Puck Man or something. I found A@H from a search for sound samples for MAME, I think. The ads didn't pop up yet. Now I'm usually at Chaos forums and here, and have joined a couple of other A@H posters (past and present) forums but have to get around to posting. I also keep up on the Commodore 64 scene at the forum of lemon64.com.

I think it was Mario kart on snes9x on my buddies pentium 266 :D

Perhaps in 1997/8...........been a while.

I actually laughed at how crap the emu was at running snes games.

I even said it wasnt possible to perfect emulation on PC's. :(

Bruce Lee or Ghostbusters on ZXAm (Amiga), approaching 10 years ago.

Baseley - Im curious. I thought Genecyst was doing Megadrive quite nicely back then. (on my Compaq DX4 100 - had to have an official soundblaster though)

Although I remember (circa 386 - early 486) trying to get friends to buy Amigas by telling them that an Amiga could emulate PC (PCTask) but PC would never be able to emulate Amiga (Custom Architecture).

Interesting how time can change things!

Baseley - Im curious. I thought Genecyst was doing Megadrive quite nicely back then. (on my Compaq DX4 100 - had to have an official soundblaster though)

Yeah maybe, he had decent megadrive emulation around then, but this was mariokart, i dont think his pc or the emulator could handle mode7,but mario world managed to run playable at least.

I think the first ever ROM I've played would have to have been...Super Mario Bros.1, I memmer the first time I heard about emulation, all I thought about was the possiblities

First ever rom I played was Super Metroid on Zsnes quite some time ago.

I had traded off my Super Mario World/Super Metroid carts in exchange for a copy of Mechwarrior 4.

As for Genecyst and Netsicle, I can run em on a 486. They are horribly innacurate and skip certain routines a real NES performs. Thus allow allowing it to run on slower machines.

I suppose great when you have such a PC, I have used the emu's myself and they do a good job of simply lettting you play.

• 3 months later...