Final Burn Legends 1.5

+ T +

Hello,

And thanks to the developpers and other guys who make this possible !

FBL is really a great emulator on XBOX (maybe my prefered one) ;)

I have a question :

I used to play with a roms full set I made for FBL 1.3 (w/out Genesis games)

I downloaded FBL 1.5, and a zip pack with new games updated from FBL 1.3 to 1.5.

I used the FBL 1.5 file with RomCenter to check my old roms.

And ...

It seems that some roms (CPS1, CPS2, etc.) still not work with the new FBL 1.5 version :(

And they are not included into the updated roms pack 1.3 to 1.5 I found.

For instance : pang3, dynasty wars, hyper street fighter 2 Anniversary Collection, etc.

It seems that the right roms for these are the MAME compatible roms ??

I am right ? And why can't we use some old FBL 1.3/FBAlpha roms with FBL1.5, since they worked fine before ?

Thanks.

PS: Apologise a french guy for his bad english :)

Edited by Mark01

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'm sorry your French.

Second the games you mention do work. You need to update your romset. Roms get updates/fixes over time. It's best that get mame roms .141 set and use romcenter or you can google an emu xtras site and get goodies you need.

I am right ? And why can't we use some old FBL 1.3/FBAlpha roms with FBL1.5, since they worked fine before ?

Thanks.

It's not just a matter of whether the games work fine or not. The latest MAME sets in most cases reflect newer and more accurate dumps of the original boards. This may not mean much if you just want to play the games, but to anyone who is more seriously interested in emulation (such as myself) it means a great deal to have the most recent sets supported.

And just a little heads-up; anyone who doesn't like updating their ROMs is going to hate FBL1.6! :)

Thanks.

And just a little heads-up; anyone who doesn't like updating their ROMs is going to hate FBL1.6! :)

Eep!

That being said, there's more to it than just updating the existing sets, it's also about adding new sets. For example, there have been many new sets released in the last few versions of MAME. These newer sets often have bugs fixed or sometimes even features added compared with the older revisions. So even purely from a gaming perspective it's preferable to support the latest ROMs since you know you'll always be playing the best version of your chosen game.

It also makes it easier for people to acquire the necessary ROMs as a complete FBL set can be easily built from the latest MAME set without the need to hunt around many different sources for compatible ROMs.

Edited by + T +

Thank you guys for explainations.

Actually, I thought that FBL rom set was based on FBAlpha one... That's why I was surprised to use MAME roms version.

But I understand, and I agree that it's a best practice to use latest versions of roms with emulators.

see you

Hello again, i may be wrong, but can't get the main menu option for bgm sound volume 0-100% to be effective or save the new value, as from the first FBL.

And a small request for UI, the possibility to enable more option by default for emulation like 'Frame Skipping' or 68K overclock value.

do you work on the source within source control locally?

One thing I think would be useful, not only for yourself, but for others, would be a public source repository. Personally, I don't do much coding without these days (not always public but with source control).

I've no clue about that really, and I'm not sure how appropriate a public repository would be given how disorganised and experimental my work on FBL so often is. The Xbox scene is so small nowadays, just a core group of people so it's also questionable to how many people such a thing would actually be useful. Of course I will always release a full sourcecode with every build of FBL and I'll gladly share my WIP source with anyone who wants it.

well, you dont have to push experimental stuff to the repository, but the advantage is, you can have a history of changes, and if something breaks, its much easier to debug/roll back/revert. It's also easier for people outside of the project to submit patches. sure the dev scene is quiet but not dead yet - xbmc4xbox still gets patches from outside the core devs. I tend to use source control even on private projects, just for the capabilities of making experimental branches, then merging back when ready, having a history of changes, and all the other stuff it gives. worth looking into imho.

I got an xbox adapter for the x-arcade stick, so that it now maps directly to xbox gamepad button presses. So now it works with final burn legends out of the box - almost. The only issue, is that the ingame menu is only accessible from a right thumb press from the first controller, and the x-arcade has no way to send this input. I have made a quick patch, that allows the thumbstick from any controller to be used, so i have my x-arcade in ports 1 and 2 and then a normal controller in port 3. Might be easier still to assign the in-game menu to another combination of presses perhaps, based on a "x-arcade" config option, but this will do for now.

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/xbox/fbl...ntroller-.patch

Edited by exobuzz

I must be tired. I see the code has multiple options for different key combinations to pause the game already. - I can probably just switch it to one of them. doh

yeh - pausegame = 2 does the trick. It is mentioned in the Release notes, but not which buttons map to which pause setting. I can see clearly from the code, but are the ini values documented somewhere and I have not been looking in the right place ?

since the last patch wasn't particularly useful, I thought id change some code around in this function anyway, as there was a bit of duplication

http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/xbox/fbl...nu-plus-c.patch

you could remove the for loop, but using the switch & bool saves having multiple if statements with the same code in. I'm just having a look around the code anyway, as I was thinking to have a go at implementing native x-arcade support without the adapter as I mentioned before.

Edited by exobuzz

I got an xbox adapter for the x-arcade stick, so that it now maps directly to xbox gamepad button presses. So now it works with final burn legends out of the box - almost. The only issue, is that the ingame menu is only accessible from a right thumb press from the first controller, and the x-arcade has no way to send this input.

In the GUI option you can assign other combos for the In-Game menu!

My arcade (Hori Fighting Stick) also does not have thumb sticks, so I

did change to START + BACK.

This option is almost hidden inside GUI > TEXT OPTIONS > Last page, if I remember well!

Regards,

C.