What Movie Did you Just Watch?

GodPigeon

Superbad... yet again.

Juno

Saw IV

Grease

Just got back from seeing Cloverfield after months of waiting. I absolutely loved it. Many hate the ending, but you seriously have to see it coming so I was more than prepared for it.

First movie in forever that I was completely engulfed in.

Just got back from seeing Cloverfield and.. well... not trying to make this personal but saying you were completely engulfed in this says too much about you. And I don't mean as a matter of taste either.

It's trying to make something as extraordinary as a monster attack a personal experience. Of course you were engulfed... all Cloverfield had going for it was getting the viewer invested in what was going on. The whole 'documentary' approach is a very cheesy, cheap gimmick, but at least in this case it did its job. My question is how could you get so engulfed in it that you missed how bad every other part of the film was?

You could say the lack of resolution was intentional, but you can't explain away the random meanderings of what is a very simple story as easily. We have some kids running around, occasionally crossing a monster, and all ending up dead. I could make a strong case that this movie was about nothing, nothing of any importance happened during it and ultimately went nowhere. As a personal journey it was far too incredible, and as an action movie it was boring. The characters were flat and impossible to empathise with, and there wasn't nearly enough actual monster combat to pick up the slack. Not to mention the monster itself was a joke.

It's an adrenaline rush because it pulls you in close to what's happening and doesn't let go... but if nothing significant actually happens then what's the point of any of it? I ended up not giving a sh!t and thanking my lucky stars this drek ended 5 minutes after they survived the helicopter crash.

Rambo was ummm good mindless fun. not great acting and alot of unbelievable action but for some reason it still worked.