A Political Cartoon...my Reaction To Recent Events

Yeah, you've got me there burr... sometimes I think I'm racist towards Americans. Let me qualify that by saying, I don't hate Americans, but although I try very hard not to think in stereotypes (to me, that's a form of racism), I often think stereotypicially of Americans. It's just that all the news coming out of the US is so negative. Obviously you guys can't see how America is portrayed to the rest of the world, but let me say, it's a very negative image (to me anyway).

It probably is but i wouldnt live anywhere else. :lol:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me also add that history works in cycles. When Clinton was in charge I had a quite positive view of the concept that is America. But now that the right wing has its talons over the white house, the agendas shift, and now all that's being discussed from America is 1) the war, and 2) the president trying to ban gay marriages. You can see how that would shift my perspective a little.

We should keep this politcal talk a little less something or other (Can't figure out the word) so we don't get something like this closed, or worse, deleted.

We should keep this politcal talk a little less something or other (Can't figure out the word) so we don't get something like this closed, or worse, deleted
Yeah I feel ya on that one Dash, btw Canada would be the next best thing to Amsterdam....<///////////>~~~~ :lol:

You guys are the proof to me that the general image of America that is being portrayed in the news at the moment is not representative of the whole US, and hopefully, that means the majority of the US (although some of you have some weird views on international politics though)

Edit: sorry for being too...verbal for you guys, but this is how I normally talk politics (I guess that's why I haven't made any friends in my political communicaton class)!

Edited by random guy

As I said before, I agree with you. But if you really wanna stereotype us, only around 20% of Americans even agree with this war in the first place. I for one, don't agree with a thing bush has done since being in office. But I will always have the attitude that if our boy's are getting slaughtered over there, especially this case where we actually got all the information about the man, then revenge is in order. Maybe not a bombing of the entire country, but jailing of all the people involved for life would help.

Edited by Gouken

general image of America that is being portrayed in the news at the moment is not representative of the whole US
Amen!! Now you're gettin' it!! BTW bad news is always the most popular and overplayed in the world too right?

Times like this we should have an Uncensord Thread. But hell in high waters like thats ever going to happen.

I know for one attacking Iraq was because of oil and Bush Sr. vendetta against Saddam. It's very clear. I'm afriad of what's next. What if North Korea doesn't want to disarm it's nukes (It's nuclear program is top notched, in both the industrial and weaponary fields). As a matter of a fact, get rid of all those dud nukes first. When things go wrong, I'll just go hide out in Alaska.

Jailing people? That would cause more extremeists who would want their release.

Just for a warning on this thread.. don't bash other countries or be racist to different races or religions.

Racial/Ethnic/Religious Slurs

- Do not post anything that is racially, ethnically or religiously derogatory or offensive. This includes but is not limited to the following:

- Use of racial slurs either in general or directed at another member.

- Use of derogatory names/terms describing ethnic/religious groups.

- Posting of imagery that can be considered offensive or derogatory towards a specific ethnic/racial/religious group

Don't forget. Thank You and please do not quote this post, otherwise this thread will go off topic. This is just a reminder, nothing more. :D

Bloody hell, man, it's comments like that that make me have a stereotypical view of all Americans. Don't you think it's a bit much to want to bomb an ENTIRE COUNTRY for an act of violence commited by a few individuals, that even the clerical leaders in Iraq are calling a disguisting act of violence! Well, Bush invaded Iraq, does that give Iraqis the right to nuke the US? Let me say again that terrorist acts like these are commited by people who happen to inhabit a country, not the whole country! Iraq didnt cut that guy's head off, some lone extremists did! Just like Afghanistan didn't fly planes into the WTC, an international terrorist organisation did (and just like America didn't invade US, the army did, as ordered by George W. Bush). Learn to differentiate between the acts of a few extremest Muslims, and the acts of every single other Muslim.

Ps I am aware that you've backed down from your position of wanting to bomb Iraq, and I agree, the people involved should be caughed and punished. But that doesn't mean that every Iraqi should be punished for this act, because alot of them are as disguisted by it as we are. Don't criticise me for stereotyping, and then stereotype the iraqis as all being mad terrorist bombers, because that's a worse stereotype than the one I sometimes battle with.

Edited by random guy