Favourite Genres Of Music?

Okay, we've got a topic called "what are you listening to" but this topic is about what your favourite genres of music are. And, more importantly, why? You should also give two or more examples, which should reflect your favourite style of your chosen genre.

A suggested format is: name of genre (why I like it): examples -

my list:

1. Da Funk! (and I mean *real* funk music, with real instruments, not that electronic doof doof crap. It has to have a catch bassline (preferably slap-bass), a solid guitar line, and really 'dancy' drumbeats). examples: George Clinton and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2. Ska/Swing/Reggae (pretty much I love everything with a "two-tone" beat and catchy hornlines. These genres get my feet tapping more than any other type of music. I've loved reggae since before I was born, too): Examples - The Specials/Madness (ska), Cherry Poppin Daddies/Royal Crown Revue (swing) and Bob Marley/the Upsetters (reggae)

3. 70's Rock (Yeah, I know the solos were wanky, and they were often overproduced, but you just can't beat 70's rock/metal) examples: Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath.

4. Prog Rock/Acid Jazz *only when it's good* (call it what you will, there was a trend in the 70's and 80's to make some of the weirdest music humanly possible to make. Alot of it was crap, but man some of it is amazing) examples: Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters, Godspeed you! Black emperor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Rock (Queens Of The Stone Age, Iron Maiden, R.A.T.M.) Love it cus, its just head bobbin music

2. Rap (OutKast, KRS One, Obie Trice) Beats are just sickly good

3. Punk (Bad Religion, Millencolin, Tsunami Bomb) To vent my frustration

4. VGM (OC ReMix, JSRF, Shenmue) Cool just to chill to

5. O.S.T.s (Cowboy Bebop, Kill Bill) Just bad ass music

Basically, anything, except for Country, as it is nothing but $hit. :rolleyes:

Anon.

Hmm.

Well;

Alternative Rock - This is what I mostly listen too. I listen to this because of groups like Rage Against The Machine (for their Metal-Rock-Rap fusion), Tool/A Perfect Circle (Maynard's Angelic and Devilish voice in songs), Nightwish (Rock with Opera soprano), certain Radiohead albums/songs (Creep, Paranoid Android), Lightstones (Metal-Rap Fusion, like rage), Cake (This guy rules) for their style of Rock.

Alternative - When stuff is just made with computers and electronic instruments. A song like Idiotque (The one everyone was bitching at when I played it on the shoucast), artisticly, it works, looked at lyrically, it doesn't. Alternative I like because it's calmness at times (Sarah McLachlan and The Barenaked Ladies are good examples).

Hip-Hop - Not whats being play today, I mean stuff like Afrika Bambataa, Soul Sonic Force, Public-Enemy, N.W.A., DJ Shadow at times, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill. Lyrics and music hit me hard and the beats stay in my head.

Progressive/Industrial Rock - Oh dear, I don't know how to explain this one. But good examples are Fear Factory (when their not being metal), Kashmir, Asian Dub Foundation. This stuff I just like for what they put out.

Metal/Nu-Metal - I only like a handful of metal bands. I prefer ones that you know, actually sing then screaming. Groups like Dream Theater, Archenemy, In Flames, System of a Down, Fear Factory (when they are metal) can give me insparation to do stuff. Like fighting the power!

I'm like Antiwinner basically, I like everything but Country. For the record Sarah McLachlan ISN'T COUNTRY!

OST stands for Original SoundTrax or Sound Tracks.

I guess my favorite genres would be:

- Early - Mid 90s rock (Nirvana, Weezer, Harvey Danger)

- Classical (mainly Baroque)

- 60s and 70s rock (The Doors, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

- Folk music (Simon and Garfunkle)

- Metal (System of a Down, Slayer, Slipknot)

- Industrial (NIN)

- Techno (none of those DJ remixes)

psychobilly. it's just the most punk rock thing going. and the scene is really small. since I was a kid I've always liked things no one else knows about. examples Tiger army, Nekromantix, demented are go, the Klingons, The Slanderin.

Rockabilly. I grew up with this stuff in the house, My dad is a real 60's greaser. I have pics of him with old chopped rods. examples: Sun era Elvis & Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Stray Cats, Big Sandy.

Punk Rock: not that bubble gum stuff, I've been a punk since around '86 examples: Social Distortion, The Misfits, Dead Milkmen, The Clash.

psychobilly. it's just the most punk rock thing going. and the scene is really small. since I was a kid I've always liked things no one else knows about. examples Tiger army, Nekromantix, demented are go, the Klingons, The Slanderin.

Rockabilly. I grew up with this stuff in the house, My dad is a real 60's greaser. I have pics of him with old chopped rods. examples: Sun era Elvis & Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, Stray Cats, Big Sandy.

Punk Rock: not that bubble gum stuff, I've been a punk since around '86 examples: Social Distortion, The Misfits, Dead Milkmen, The Clash.

Tiger Army underground? I've listened to them for a whiles now.

Anon.

Tiger Army underground? I've listened to them for a whiles now.

Anon.

then you is in the know foo. heheh. actually you are prolly the 3rd person I've ever talked to that knows them outside the scene.

Unless.......... you are in the scene! do you have a quiff and creapers?!?! :rolleyes:

anyways Tiger Army Never Die!

What does O.S.T stand for anyway? I've been wondering for a while.

Original SoundTracks.

Anyway, since I listen to almost all genres (bar Folk and Country), so I don't have a definite favorite. Although, I'm in my trance phase now.

I'm with Agozer on this; I don't discriminate when it comes to music -- except probably country. As long as the song has a nice beat, sound, whatever to it, it's fine with me.

Edit note: I just remembered, I don't think I've ever heard a Jazz music that I'd liked -- I dunno, they're just very long and sounds very whiney to me.

Edited by Captain FuKu