Should I Do This?

Is this a good course of action?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Damn, looks like I missed the psychology discussion, but I have to add my two cents (don't bother reading this if you have no interest in psychology and are just here to find out if Fatal got laid):

Genes aren't the be-all and end-all of human development. Therefore, they can't be used to predict behaviour: that'd be like saying that all parents who abuse the children are genetically programmed to be @#$holes, despite the fact that they themselves happened to have been abused as kids. Well if this is true, why do adopted kids who have been abused/kids who were abused by step-parents have a tendency to become child-abusers?

In fact, I'd have to say that on my personal nature-nurture continuum, I view nurture as more important: and here is why = your genes are there from birth, so their major role to play is determining how you develop in the womb, BUT you are born into a world rich with experiences, some good some bad, but all of which (especially during your first few years) contribute to what kind of person you will become. And of course the problem with relying on genes for predicting behaviour is that it leads to all kinds of opportunities for "scientific racism". Here is what I mean: crime rates would be a lot higher in areas like Harlem, and all kinds of slum areas, which as we all know have a predominately black (or at least non-white) population. Now the genetecist who didn't believe in environmental factors would say that crime is a result of a genetic propensity for nastiness: ie assaulters and murderers have a genetic propensity for violence. Now, taking this to a next logical step, does that mean that blacks are more genetically predisposed to violence than whites are?

OF COURSE NOT: that is a gross generalisation and is ignoring every environmental factor: namely, that slums are crap, alcohol and drug abuse is rampant in these areas, and that people who live in these areas are more likely to have experienced a nasty childhood, for instance having to witness violence before they have been desensitised, and so on and so on. THAT is why crime rates are higher in Harlem than in White-Collar Suburbia.

That doesn't mean that genes are not important: twin studies where one twin has been separated from the other, and they have both led freakishly similar lives (in one example two twins living on other sides of the USA with no knowledge of the other twin BOTH became firemen) have shown us that genes are a contributing factor: but in my belief, genetics only increases the TENDENCY to do something, but for it to be done, the OPPORTUNITY must be there. For example, someone with "violent" genes may be more likely to murder a guy that has sex with his mother and drove his truck through his house, but without that kind of extreme provocation, he won't kill anybody, even with his genes.

Yeah, thanks for the shpiel but I already covered that. :blink: It's called heritabilty. Biological and environmental factors such as diet, exercise, climate, psychological factors, etc. all have a bearing on a individual.

Nice to see someone who knows psychology here. :lol:

Today, April 5, 2004.

8:00 - I wake up and have 30 minutes to shower, eat, and drive to school.

8:36 - I'm 6 minutes late to class.

8:36 - 9:45 - We review for the Organic test.

9:45 - 10:30 - My first break. I am writing the Data Table for my organic lab journal and posting here.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang another thread that has gone off topic :blink:....Looks like no one enforces the rule of taking threads offtopic...hahahaha

To be quite honest, I have had enough of solving Fatal's relationship issues. Let it go already. This is just a good thing.

Well if you look back 5 pages I said lets make this the last reply and it seems some people cannot read :P

hahahaha....:lol:

Yes, I remember that. They didn't even stop at my post. Meh, what can you do...

lol

That's it... :P

But yeah, its human nature to go offtopic. It makes things more fun and interesting. Who just wants to have a conversation if Fatal should get some bootay while we sit around and argue? Not me. :lol:

The countdown to Saturday has begun. HA HA HA!

Well lets hope you make the right decision.

And my countdown to 3:00 PM Thursday begins, for that is when Spring Break begins.

My day continued

April 5, 2004

12:00 - I eat a bag of chips for lunch.

12:30 - I run a Nitrite test on soil sample number 12-03-101. Results come out to zero.

1:00 - I go to Organic lab. We follow the lab procedure.

2:00 - The experiment doesn't work. It sucks.

2:30 - I go back to work and run a nitrite test on soil sample 12-03-102. Results come out to zero.

So far my day sucks.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

The countdown to Saturday has begun. HA HA HA!

Well lets hope you make the right decision.

And my countdown to 3:00 PM Thursday begins, for that is when Spring Break begins.

My day continued

April 5, 2004

12:00 - I eat a bag of chips for lunch.

12:30 - I run a Nitrite test on soil sample number 12-03-101. Results come out to zero.

1:00 - I go to Organic lab. We follow the lab procedure.

2:00 - The experiment doesn't work. It sucks.

2:30 - I go back to work and run a nitrite test on soil sample 12-03-102. Results come out to zero.

So far my day sucks.

Hahah...Never give up. Slap that soil sample around and show who's boss. :lol: