Should I Do This?

Is this a good course of action?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since everyone seems so interested in people's personal lives, or in other cases, more than willing to share details of their lives on the internet (lol), perhaps some of the members could start an online journal and post the links on this board.

Just a thought. Carry on. :)

Entry # 1

Today, my hemorrhoids started acting up again. And I was out of cream, so it was hurting like hell. So instead I used my air pressured dust cleaner to blast that area with some cool air. Aaaah, boy did that feel good.

Now, would you like to see a whole bunch of those? I think not. :blink:

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone seems so interested in people's personal lives, or in other cases, more than willing to share details of their lives on the internet (lol), perhaps some of the members could start an online journal and post the links on this board.

Just a thought. Carry on. :D

Entry # 1

Today, my hemorrhoids started acting up again. And I was out of cream, so it was hurting like hell. So instead I used my air pressured dust cleaner to blast that area with some cool air. Aaaah, boy did that feel good.

Now, would you like to see a whole bunch of those? I think not. :blink:

:):ph34r:;):lol:, I would love to hear more. :lol::lol::lol:

Damn, looks like I missed the psychology discussion, but I have to add my two cents (don't bother reading this if you have no interest in psychology and are just here to find out if Fatal got laid):

Genes aren't the be-all and end-all of human development. Therefore, they can't be used to predict behaviour: that'd be like saying that all parents who abuse the children are genetically programmed to be @#$holes, despite the fact that they themselves happened to have been abused as kids. Well if this is true, why do adopted kids who have been abused/kids who were abused by step-parents have a tendency to become child-abusers?

In fact, I'd have to say that on my personal nature-nurture continuum, I view nurture as more important: and here is why = your genes are there from birth, so their major role to play is determining how you develop in the womb, BUT you are born into a world rich with experiences, some good some bad, but all of which (especially during your first few years) contribute to what kind of person you will become. And of course the problem with relying on genes for predicting behaviour is that it leads to all kinds of opportunities for "scientific racism". Here is what I mean: crime rates would be a lot higher in areas like Harlem, and all kinds of slum areas, which as we all know have a predominately black (or at least non-white) population. Now the genetecist who didn't believe in environmental factors would say that crime is a result of a genetic propensity for nastiness: ie assaulters and murderers have a genetic propensity for violence. Now, taking this to a next logical step, does that mean that blacks are more genetically predisposed to violence than whites are?

OF COURSE NOT: that is a gross generalisation and is ignoring every environmental factor: namely, that slums are crap, alcohol and drug abuse is rampant in these areas, and that people who live in these areas are more likely to have experienced a nasty childhood, for instance having to witness violence before they have been desensitised, and so on and so on. THAT is why crime rates are higher in Harlem than in White-Collar Suburbia.

That doesn't mean that genes are not important: twin studies where one twin has been separated from the other, and they have both led freakishly similar lives (in one example two twins living on other sides of the USA with no knowledge of the other twin BOTH became firemen) have shown us that genes are a contributing factor: but in my belief, genetics only increases the TENDENCY to do something, but for it to be done, the OPPORTUNITY must be there. For example, someone with "violent" genes may be more likely to murder a guy that has sex with his mother and drove his truck through his house, but without that kind of extreme provocation, he won't kill anybody, even with his genes.

Edited by random guy

That doesn't mean that genes are not important: twin studies where one twin has been separated from the other, and they have both led freakishly similar lives (in one example two twins living on other sides of the USA with no knowledge of the other twin BOTH became firemen) have shown us that genes are a contributing factor: but in my belief, genetics only increases the TENDENCY to do something, but for it to be done, the OPPORTUNITY must be there. For example, someone with "violent" genes may be more likely to murder a guy that has sex with his mother and drove his truck through his house, but without that kind of extreme provocation, he won't kill anybody, even with his genes.

:ph34r: Ok since the guy plays grand theft auto 3 is there a good chance that he will beat me to death with a baseball bat and take my money if i hook up with his girl? :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well, no, because for one he wouldn't have played gta3 when he was between the ages of 1-6, which are the most crucial years for moral and emotional development, and also that whole "violence in video games promotes violence" isn't as impactful for me because the player is just a passive observer, and you are expecting violence and gruesomeness before you sit down and play. It would be much more psychologically damaging for a three year old to walk down the street and see a deranged gunman who aims the gun at her and then shoots someone right in front of her, than for her to play gta3 (still not a good idea though, keep young kids away from the super-violent games).

The problem is, before the age of 6, children do not have a concrete set of morals. They basically just do what they are told, and the only motivation for avoiding behaviour is avoiding being punished. Another thing is young children have trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. I have actually heard a really DISTURBING story about a 5-year-old who brought a gun to school and shot one of his classmates. When they grilled him about the event, he mentioned he was looking forward to seeing her in school the next day. He didn't even KNOW she was dead, you see, and the only thing to blame for that is a society that idolises guns, where kids get toy pistols and laserguns and water pistols to play with, kids who as yet have NO IDEA that when you shoot someone, its not like in the movies where the actors will be in the show next week playing a different character; when you shoot someone in real life they don't get up. Oh man, that's DEPRESSING :ph34r:.

Day 1: Today I sat on my ass and watched these forums.

Day 2: Today I sat on my ass and watched these forums.

Day 3: Today I sat on my ass and watched these forums.

Day 100: Today I sat on my ass and watched these forums.

Day 101: Started to wonder if there's more to life than these forums.

Day 102: Wondered when will Disgaea: The Hour of Darkness be released.

Day 103: Came to the conclusion that it will, in May.

Day 104: Today I sat on my ass and watched these forums.

Edited by Agozer

Wow... quite an interesting thread this is becoming. :blink:

At the moment, my online journal would probably look something like:

Thursday: Yay! Got no class today, so I slept in and woke up around 1:00 PM. I then play video games for the most parts of the day. That damn poli. science research paper is due about a week from now. I shouldn't procrastinate, and I hate doing things at the last minute.

Friday: Damn! Woke up late, so I was late to class. Came back home, slept. Then went over to my local arcade where it's busy only on Fridays -- I just don't understand people. Met the usual peeps, got in some good games. That damn poli. science research paper is due about a week from now. I shouldn't procrastinate, and I hate doing things at the last minute.

Sat: Woke up late, again. Did the usual crap. And in the back of my mind, constantly playing over and over: That damn poli. science research paper is due about a week from now. I shouldn't procrastinate, and I hate doing things at the last minute.

Sun: Woke up late, again. Did the usual crap. Now that damn poli. science paper is due less than a week from now. I shouldn't procrastinate, and I hate doing things at the last minute. But then I also remember that I got a math exam on the same day my paper is due. And only a couple of days after, my history paper is due. Wonderful.

Yep, it'll probably look something like that. Gotta find another job already. LOL