The Big ass Street Fighter IV thread

Inky

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's been a ton of confusion circling about exactly how to unlock Akuma and Gouken (post updated--I failed to paste in the most obvious part for Akuma that everyone already knows--this is tricky yo!)

While figuring this out can be a bit of a drag, part of me actually likes it--it's a lot like the old arcade days when we were first trying to figure out how to get Akuma in SSF2T, or even Reptile in MK ("I heard from this dude that you have to throw the rock on Chun Li's stage at Ryu", etc.)

Judging by all the Akuma's I've been battling online, plenty of people are getting there without our help, and lots of credible, well-meaning sites have it partially correct (or have posted overly-difficult methods) but the time for confusion is over, so here are the full details on how to unlock them:

To unlock Akuma as a playable character:

1. Unlock Cammy, Fei Long, Dan, Sakura, Rose, and Gen.

2. Pick a character you have already used to beat Arcade Mode.

3. Win all your matches without continuing and without losing any rounds before fighting with Seth.

4. You need to get at least one "perfect" win in a round, and more than one depending on how many rounds per match you are playing.

- 1 round match: 1 perfect round or more

- 3 round match: 2 perfect rounds or more

- 5 round match: 3 perfect rounds or more

- 7 round match: 4 perfect rounds or more

(including the last battle against Seth)

5. If you meet these conditions, Akuma will appear. Defeat him to unlock Akuma as a selectable character.

To unlock Gouken as a playable character:

1. Complete Arcade Mode playing as Akuma and watch (not necessary to watch everything) an ending.

2. Then, unlock Gouken as an opponent, and defeat him.

Necessary conditions to unlock Gouken as an opponent:

- Play with any characters with which you watched the ending once (so play using a character you have already beaten the game with)

- Do not continue at all.

- Do not lose at all. Not even one round (easier if you only play 1-round matches)

- Achieve certain number (or more) of "Perfect" rounds. The number of Perfect Win you need to achieve are:

If you play on

- 1 round match: 1 time or more

- 3 round match: 2 times or more

- 5 round match: 3 times or more

- 7 round match: 4 times or more

- Achieve a certain number (or more) of Super Combo -OR- Ultra Combo Finishes. Super and Ultra finishes both count toward this number. The number of super/ultra finishes you need to achieve are:

If you play on

- 1 round match: 3 times or more

- 3 round match: 5 times or more

- 5 round match: 7 times or more

- 7 round match: 9 times or more

- Achieve certain number (or more) of First Attack (this means you must score the first strike in a match--the screen gives you the "First Attack" message, and you can mostly do this without even noticing):

The number of First Attack you need to achieve are:

If you play on

- 1 round match: 5 times or more

- 3 round match: 10 times or more

- 5 round match: 15 times or more

- 7 round match: 20 times or more

- Then Gouken will appear. Kick his butt to unlock him!

yeah i try to go with angled fireballs for anti air. my instincts always go with dragon punch motion and I end up whiffing the palm strike.

Where did da friggin palm strike come from anway?!

I dont see that attack ranging from any shoto!

GOuken sucks becuz he's a supposed shoto, he has no wakeup attack!

I too go into whiff-mode when i see sumone jump at me...

I'm on in the mornings most days. anyone want's some matches just invite me. I rarely see you guys on, but I don't check my friends list much. and have notifications off.

yeah i try to go with angled fireballs for anti air. my instincts always go with dragon punch motion and I end up whiffing the palm strike.

Where did da friggin palm strike come from anway?!

I dont see that attack ranging from any shoto!

GOuken sucks becuz he's a supposed shoto, he has no wakeup attack!

I too go into whiff-mode when i see sumone jump at me...

Normal and EX counters.

Canon wise, he's up there with the strongest characters (the list is Gill, Oro-Gouki-Gouken (Tie, they all intentionally hold back their power), SFA Dictator). They intentionally made him awful because all SF fans know he's much stronger.

Edit: Offer still stands for the MS points card. Unless someone wants to paypal me 21 bucks USD for it.

According to the Official Prima Guide, all you have to do to unlock Gouken is to beat Arcade mode with Akuma. For Seth it says just complete the game with all 16 default characters. No mention of perfects or ultras or whatever. I've still to unlock Gouken so I'll just give this a try to test it. Strange thing is that I have fought/beaten Gouken a few times since I unlocked Akuma but never 'kept' him. Seems you must need to use Akuma after all.

According to the Official Prima Guide, all you have to do to unlock Gouken is to beat Arcade mode with Akuma. For Seth it says just complete the game with all 166 default characters.

WHOA! I don't remember that many characters in the game!

I have all the characters unlocked and the achievement from it. It's easy to unlock them all.

According to the Official Prima Guide, all you have to do to unlock Gouken is to beat Arcade mode with Akuma. For Seth it says just complete the game with all 166 default characters.

WHOA! I don't remember that many characters in the game!

Lol, yeah. It's still pretty early in the morning here, only just up. My brain doesn't really engage until the afternoon :blink:

I can confirm that I unlocked Gouken with Ryu. first beating the game with akuma. then with ryu. I had a few perfects and 3 or 4 ultras, no continues.