The Big ass Street Fighter IV thread

Inky

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that part is confirmed from what the scans indicated. I need to re-read it since I'm forgetful. But I do believe that's right.

Yet again they elude progression with this prequal stuff. That'll be my biggest qualm about this game if it is true. Why do they even bother calling it 4?

I hope Urien or a pre-godhood Gill is part of the lineup.

Edited by veristic

Is there going to be a cool character to fight with? ... it's a little bit boring to use ryu to finish the game like in the classic games.. lol

Which characters do you use in SFighter series? :|

Why not use more exotic characters then? Street Fighter is always boring if you just use Ryu 'n friends.

I use Vega, Sagat and Bison in SF2, and Urien, Necro and Hugo in SF3. They keep things interesting. I guarantee at least some of those will find their way to SF4.

If so then why does any game need a story?

Stories help players rationalise and empathise with the gameworld. It makes what is essentialy a mechanical interaction more human, and something the player can relate to.

For that reason I think stories are always important and its a copout to say 'oh fighting games don't need stories.. they're about gameplay' or whatever. There is no excuse for a weak storyline. If its weak because things were lost in translation then fair enough, but you can't explain away VF5's sh!t plotline by saying it doesn't need one.

If so then why does any game need a story?

Stories help players rationalise and empathise with the gameworld. It makes what is essentialy a mechanical interaction more human, and something the player can relate to.

For that reason I think stories are always important and its a copout to say 'oh fighting games don't need stories.. they're about gameplay' or whatever. There is no excuse for a weak storyline. If its weak because things were lost in translation then fair enough, but you can't explain away VF5's sh!t plotline by saying it doesn't need one.

yes but when your beating someone up the last thing you think about is how is this going to affect the plot. :punk:

yes but when your beating someone up the last thing you think about is how is this going to affect the plot. :punk:

I'm not surprised. If the characters are just empty shells or stereotypes, why should you care about them or what winning or losing would mean to them? You don't know anything about them.

That's the problem. I also take issue with the pointless ladder progression in VF... each fight as meaningless as the last. Not to mention the ludicrously nonsensical final boss.

Every hardcore tournament player I have met has never cared about stories lines at all. If the character is decent looking and has a interesting fighting style and the game plays awesome then that is a good fighting game. Stupid story lines just get in the way of people selecting a character, "Oh my God, Ryu lost to Ken, F*CK Capcom for that! Guess I better start learning Ken now, he is a better fighter because the story said so!" that is just plain retarded.

Fighting games are all about VS battle, if it has a wonderful storyline and crappy game play then the game is SH*T.

There is NO WAY anyone is ever going to convince me that story lines truly matter and really affect the game play in a fighting game. The simple look with the characters in VF5 enable the player to customize them to there liking, make your own storyline.

If it was an RPG I would understand, I noticed a lot of younger gamers tend to care about story lines in fighting games.