Which processor?

FeC

I'm looking to buy a new processor then buy the motherboard and memory to build around it (i already have agp8X graphics card and so on in my PC), for my money (£200) i could get AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or Pentium 4 630 3GHz, Which processor should i spend 200 pounds on?

I got a Athlon 64 3200+ lately. Thats pretty powerfull and runs everything fine, from HL2 to Doom3. So i recommend AMD as well.

My advice is, get a board that you can overclock your CPU with. Just a little, like 200MHz. With a good board (Abit Fatality AN8) you can (most likely) easily tune your CPU from 2.0 to 2.2 GHz making it a 3500+

Rather invest into a good graphics card like nvidia 6600 GT instead of more MHz.

I've always been an Intel fan.......until the latter end of the AMD Athlon XP chips started rolling out, and the 64s came.

Intel has started going fuxing backwards with chip design, and I now heavily lean towards AMD.

Remember how AMD used to get bashed for heat generation? Well it's Intels turn now, their latest chips are furnaces........you don't need any source of heat to keep you warm this winter if you go with Intel.

Try and get your hands on a Venice core 64 chip, those things are badass.

For example, and AMD64 3000+, which clocks at around 2Ghz, is basically the equivalent of an Intel CPU running at 3Ghz. Or that's how I've figured it anyways.

4000+ == 4Ghz, 3500+ == 3.5Ghz and so on.