Demonoid now blocking all Canadians!

Alpha

Demonoid, a popular Bit Torrent Tracker, is finally back online. However, they have decided to ban ALL users in Canada!

Now this just puzzles me as I thought Canada allows file sharing?

Downtime

We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and we need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this.

Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.

For the folks who live in Canada, what are your thoughts about this? My guess is that the USA will unfortunately be next.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't legal here per-se, it's because of privacy laws they aren't allowed to do anything to us.

Edit: It's like having a bicycle with a small gear motor on it. Is it classified as a motorcycle or a bicycle?

Also another thing. It's only to the website itself, if you can manage to grab a torrent off elsewhere, you'll still be able to access the tracker. I'm still seeding my Final Fantasy Retrospective DVD there and annoucing fine to the tracker.

Must have been a bad rumour. Thanks! :D
As of earlier today, we have disabled access from users in the US to our trackers, until further notice. This goes for ALL trackers (torrentbox, podtropolis) we run. This is due to the US's hostility towards P2P technologies, and we feel with our current lawsuit brought by the MPAA, we can no longer ensure your security and privacy in the US. So, if you're outside the US, you may notice less peers. We encourage you to add other public, unhampered trackers to torrents you post, in addition to Torrentbox and Podtropolis's trackers.

THIS IS ONLY REGARDING TRACKERS OWNED BY ISOHUNT.COM NOT 3RD PARTY TRACKERS -- DO NOT CONTACT ME PRIVATELY ABOUT THE CHANGE IN POLICY

Update: Spike

Apparently some P2P news sites are falsely reporting that we are blocking US visitors from using the isoHunt website itself. Let me say this is NOT the case. As reported above we are blocking US visitors ONLY to the BitTorrent TRACKERS we run. This will NOT affect torrents obtained from isoHunt unless these torrents only use said trackers that are isoHunt operated.