Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Alpha

Just came back from this movie and I'd have to give it a....... THUMBS DOWN! Sure it had a lot of comedic memories, but it couldn't match to the original. The entire ending was changed and it didn't have the life of the first one. I'm not going to even talk about the Oompa Loompa(s).These remakes are getting worse and worse; why can't people think of new ideas? Unfortunately, the same is happening with Batman which is horribly not needed. They are just ripping apart these originals to make extra cash. :(

It was especially noticable how Johnny Depp inspired his character from

Michael Jackson with his robe, makeup, and attire... simply put, disturbing. :(

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually interested because it's supposed to be all creepy and not all goody goody like the first one :(

as a matter of fact, why's it have to be called a remake for? It's called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory not Willy Wonka and the Choclate Factory. The 70's one is based less on the book than this new one :(

Edited by Weirdy

I'm actually interested because it's supposed to be all creepy and not all goody goody like the first one :(

If you're expecting a horror movie, wrong film buddy. :(

If you're expecting a horror movie, wrong film buddy. :(

no, I actually find horror movies boring

I'm expecting a strange and kinda obscure movie, not something that'll frighten me

Edited by Weirdy

The obscurity of said movie is what makes it...uh...it. Plus it gives me a reason when I'm dying to go out and do something.

I thought it was a good movie, better than the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by far. The original movie was the one with the different story, not this movie. This movie, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, is based on the book with the same name. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, the bad mutilization of the book with a similar, but ultimately different, story, seems to be what you're comparing the movie to. The original movie removed Charlie's innocence with the despicable Soda scene, nearly insulting the book.

This movie has a bit more Wonka backstory, with an elongated ending that provides more story to the story. Many concepts have been modernized, such as Mike Teevee's character, or the Oompa Loomba's musical numbers (now covering five different musical genres). It's otherwise identical to the book.

There was nothing disturbing about Depp's outfit, it looks exactly like Wonka is meant to look, and not like Michael Jackson at all.

There are plenty of new movies coming out, so I'm lost at where you got that argument. Name all the remakes that have come out this year, and then name all the movies that aren't remakes, then see which list is longer. Besides, remakes let younger people see good movies in a format they'll understand more, and older people see some of their favorites in a new light, so I don't see anything wrong with them. And of course people have new ideas, if they didn't the remakes would be identical to the original movies.

To me Wonka is Gene Wilder. Now don't get me wrong, I like pretty much every Depp movie I've seen. But I'll be waiting for a rental on this one.

If you want to get technical about it, neither Johnny Depp nor Gene Wilder look like the first rendition of Willy Wonka illustrated by Joseph Schindelman. The first version was a really short guy with a really tall hat and a goatee.

But I wonder if they'll make a sequel to this movie "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator."