What game do you think has the best storyline?

Diso

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they really did great with KOF, espcially how they intermingled it with other series (Garou and to an extent SamSho).

That being said though, I'd still dig KOF even if it were low on story. And a characters background has never influenced my decision on wether I play him/her or not. Heck, Ramon is one of my all time fave characters and all I know about him is that he has the hots for Vanessa.

Yeah they really did great with KOF, espcially how they intermingled it with other series (Garou and to an extent SamSho).

That being said though, I'd still dig KOF even if it were low on story. And a characters background has never influenced my decision on wether I play him/her or not. Heck, Ramon is one of my all time fave characters and all I know about him is that he has the hots for Vanessa.

Yay! Another Ramon's fan :D He is really awesome in 2K2 :punk:

Xenogears contains the best story ever written for a video game...I think. The game is long, and it's at least 80% deep story. The characters are well thought out and well portrayed. Elements of drug use, religion, warfare, exploration, psychology, and some massive sci fi all fit themselves into the game. If you don't want to play the game, at least download a recording of someone else playing it. :D

The SMT series gets props just for actually getting something remotely anti-christian into America. It didn't for a while, which kind of makes me want to cry, but it has recently, and it's continuing. The plots are cool, because they aren't the typical "go save something" plot of just about every game/book/movie. I'd rate the gameplay higher than the plot if I had to make the choice though.

RE and Neverwinter Nights. Even though nwn's storyline isn't that unique and follows the basic medieval type storyline sorta, it was still really good.

Its too hard to rate a storyline with all those RPGs out because some of them have really good storylines like FF7 and some don't. Oh well.

actually, and i dunno how valid my arguement is here, but

Silent Hill one.

The game was made to be a nightmare simulator, the story was supposed to follow a nightmare like quality, i feel tthat the story PERFECTLY fit the nightmare theme. (i know some are going to be asking me, WHAT story, but there was one; a vague one)

Only fighters don't need stories, otherwise imo they are one of the main ingredients if you want to play something mature and come away with something meaningful. Using Street Fighter as an argument doesn't make sense.

Fighters, sports games, and puzzle games all don't need stories. But I agree that pretty much all other games need one. I can't believe some of you people actually said that stories aren't important. That's absolutely ludicrous. A good story can add a lot to a game. Sure, a game can get by with a weak story and good gameplay, but I think it adds a lot to the experience if you have reasons and a goal as to why you are doing things in a game. It adds depth to the characters and allows for a more immersive experience if you can get into the plight or struggle of your character.

A game without a good story is like a summer "popcorn" flick. It may be enjoyable due to all the action and dazzling special effects... but movies that have that plus a great story are oh so much better. Everyone knows that, and this is a very similar situation.

The game was made to be a nightmare simulator, the story was supposed to follow a nightmare like quality, i feel tthat the story PERFECTLY fit the nightmare theme. (i know some are going to be asking me, WHAT story, but there was one; a vague one)

I agree. The Silent Hill games have stories, they can just be a bit confusing and as you said, vague, at times.

Edited by Thraxen

Silent Hill one.

I wouldn't call Silent Hill's storyline(s) vague, you just really have to pay attention tothe dialogue and read between the lines at times. Each installment looks at the base material from a different angle or starts where an other one left off.

Creepy. One of my all time favorites

Silent Hill one.

I wouldn't call Silent Hill's storyline(s) vague, you just really have to pay attention tothe dialogue and read between the lines at times. Each installment looks at the base material from a different angle or starts where an other one left off.

Creepy. One of my all time favorites

My point was, the story wasn't supposed to really make sense, and was supposed to confuse you, and it accomplished that perfectly.

exactly like a nightmare.

at least in silent hill one

Only fighters don't need stories, otherwise imo they are one of the main ingredients if you want to play something mature and come away with something meaningful. Using Street Fighter as an argument doesn't make sense.

Fighters, sports games, and puzzle games all don't need stories. But I agree that pretty much all other games need one. I can't believe some of you people actually said that stories aren't important. That's absolutely ludicrous. A good story can add a lot to a game. Sure, a game can get by with a weak story and good gameplay, but I think it adds a lot to the experience if you have reasons and a goal as to why you are doing things in a game. It adds depth to the characters and allows for a more immersive experience if you can get into the plight or struggle of your character.

No game NEEDS a story. It's ludicrous to believe stories are unimportant? OK. So Virtua Cop is crap, Sega Rally is crap, Gradius is crap, Marvel vs Capcom is crap, Crazy Taxi is crap and every other game without a story is crap? I must have found Ikaruga sh!t because I didn't pay attention to the story and I must hate Tekken 2 because I ignored the story when I first played it.

Story is absolutely unimportant. Darts is a game and I don't dislike it because it doesn't have a story. games are to be played not to f__king listen a bad plot.