RPGs; Eastern vs. Western

Which style of RPG suits you best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not mindless level grinding.  Every level is an accomplishment that grants you greater power and abilities, allowing you to face bigger and stronger monsters.  When you can defeat God at level 1, what's the point to leveling?  Granted, you pretty much hate the basis of RPGs, so you wouldn't understand.  Grinding isn't just tedium, it's training.  You're training yourself to be a better character.  If you don't like it, you don't do the side quests, as getting through the story levels you enough for the final boss.  In fact, getting through the first 4 minutes of the game levels you enough for the final boss.
There's a huge difference between mindless grinding and a balanced RPG. Walking around and killing hundreds of the same enemy is an example of the former. Increases in power can come from a wide variety of gameplay experiences, and a good RPG will mix them up and prepare you for what's ahead in a transparent way - without making you think about how many more randomly encountered gaint sandworms you have to kill before your stats are high enough to survive the boss. A good example would be Fallout. If killing the same three enemies for an hour and a half gives you a real sense of satisfaction, you might consider ditch digging as a career option.

I don' think it's fair comparing FF style advancing to Fallout style since they are completely different kinds of RPGs. You can't really compare western skill based D&D (or SPECIAL in this case) character advancement with Eastern crap (I can't think of any other word to describe it :)) character advancement.

From my eastern style RPG experience (please correct me if I'm wrong), don't all of them have a sort of 'xxx/yyyy till next level' and then all stats go up at once when you hit next level?

But yes, Fallout's character building system is one of the best ever created, if you haven't played it I highly suggest you do.

haracter advancement with Eastern crap (I can't think of any other word to describe it :P) character advancement.

From my eastern style RPG experience (please correct me if I'm wrong), don't all of them have a sort of 'xxx/yyyy till next level' and then all stats go up at once when you hit next level?

Yes, that's pretty much the basics of leveling up in most eastern RPGs. However, not all stats are boosted at once (in some games).

haracter advancement with Eastern crap (I can't think of any other word to describe it :P) character advancement.

Yes, that's pretty much the basics of leveling up in most eastern RPGs. However, not all stats are boosted at once (in some games).

I was referring to HOW you level up, not what happens when you do.

Fallout confronts you with a wide variety of challenges beyond "wander around until you run into a monster. Kill it. Repeat." Fallout is an extremely good example of this, but there are Eastern RPGs that are less monotonous than others. Even a different set of monsters provides some variation if it doesn't take too long to come around.

Basically, the more variety in the challenges you face on your path to the next level, the better. World-Map level-grinding is about the worst situation when this is the criteria.

Edited by Daeval

I was referring to HOW you level up, not what happens when you do.

And I was referring to Mr. G's question about levelling up.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't think it's smart or logical to ask which culture of RPG's is better. If you like toast, why not have some butter with it as well? Sorry I haven't eaten in 4 hours.

Anyway, I do love the final fantasy's and the dragon quests and have a blast with the Diablo/Everquest/Dungeon Siege and what not. So basically i'm trying to say that anyone who says that they only prefer one type is lying or on some kind of aerosol.

Sometimes I get bored of the same level till your 100 and beat the boss or hack and slash that beyotch to death. It just depends...if the game is good, then I like it. Don't matter if it's east side or west side. You down homie doggs?

Anyway, I do love the final fantasy's and the dragon quests and have a blast with the Diablo/Everquest/Dungeon Siege and what not. So basically i'm trying to say that anyone who says that they only prefer one type is lying or on some kind of aerosol.

...no. You are wrong. I pretty much despise Eastern style RPGs. The last Eastern style one I played was Chrono Trigger and I got bored of that and went back to play Fallout and NWN. Hell, I don't even consider them to be RPGs since there is such little character development and rarely any varying styles of gameplay. Also, Diablo and Dungeon Siege are iffy in the RPG realm, they are basically hack and slash with some character development.

...no. You are wrong. I pretty much despise Eastern style RPGs. The last Eastern style one I played was Chrono Trigger and I got bored of that and went back to play Fallout and NWN. Hell, I don't even consider them to be RPGs since there is such little character development and rarely any varying styles of gameplay. Also, Diablo and Dungeon Siege are iffy in the RPG realm, they are basically hack and slash with some character development.

Your a rare kind...it's almost like saying you like only asian girls but wouldn't be enticed to a sexy Italian babe not matter how she smells and struts those fine legs.

Your a rare kind...it's almost like saying you like only asian girls but wouldn't be enticed to a sexy Italian babe not matter how she smells and struts those fine legs.

That has got the be the most fscked up analogy I've ever witnessed. :P

Eh, Mr. G just doesn't get turned on.