RPGs; Eastern vs. Western

Which style of RPG suits you best?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe you just compared games to girls. It's not about WHERE it's from, it's what qualities it has. Eastern style RPGs don't have the qualities I like in an RPG while Western ones do. It's the same thing with girls. :P I don't care where they're from as long as they have the right qualities (external and internal).

EDIT: Yeah, Agozer said it perfectly. I don't get turned on by them.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you just compared games to girls. It's not about WHERE it's from, it's what qualities it has.

That's exactly my point about the girls thingy. It doesn't matter where it's from, case and point. But you said that it's impossible for you to like a Eastern RPG...what if they made one that had Western influence? Hence defies your logic about how you can't like a Eastern RPG.

And about the girls comment, I've been playing too much Rumble Roses.

ive always kinda wondered what makes a rpg a rpg. I remeber i asked someone and he said you played the role of someone.. i was like uhhh in every game dont u play the role of someone? anyways so how the hell do games like zelda and fable and so on become considered rpgs when they are pretty much just hack and slash adventure games?

Edited by Bluestinger X

Zelda isn't an RPG per se. I'd call it an action advanture game instead.

When talking about RPGs, most people associate the word with japanese role-playing games. Cartoony style + various stats that you raise by gaining levels + a plot that twists and turns like crazy.

I can't believe you just compared games to girls. It's not about WHERE it's from, it's what qualities it has.

That's exactly my point about the girls thingy. It doesn't matter where it's from, case and point. But you said that it's impossible for you to like a Eastern RPG...what if they made one that had Western influence? Hence defies your logic about how you can't like a Eastern RPG.

Well I only said Western because so far only Western RPGs have offered what I want to play. Once an Eastern one does it, I'll check it out too.

Stinger, I classify RPGs as games that have indepth character creation and development, multiple conversation paths, and several ways to play the game. I have a more "create your own role" look on RPGs.

Hahahah... Chick in the ring rule. :P It's one of the top-selling games in Japan at the moment.

The game isn't that bad, it's very solid.

The analogy works...in some ways....I think...

What makes an RPG? That's a tough one.. Definately some level of statistical character advancement, how much is debatable. A relatively complicated story. Probability-based combat?

I was referring to HOW you level up, not what happens when you do.
And I was referring to Mr. G's question about levelling up.

I know. :P I was looking at is as a single line of discussion, I should have replied directly to Gryph's post.

To me, I don't mind the endless level'ing up to 100 and beating the crap out of the bosses. What I look for is the graphics, magics, fmv's and storyline. If those categories are well nourished, then I don't mind going through the same ways of leveling up.

I guess it all depends on the person..

Stinger, I classify RPGs as games that have indepth character creation and development, multiple conversation paths, and several ways to play the game. I have a more "create your own role" look on RPGs.

so morowind is like a perfect example.. i havent played many eastern rpgs with those elements.