How do I make emulators?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say, don't waste ur time unless ur smart and into programming and know a lil bit about it urself cuz u'll be wasting time trying to make an emulator

Programming an emulator is extremely difficult. i'll say what people say to me if you wanna code an emulator start with chip-8 it might not seem much but you'll learn the emulators functionality on how the chip-8 works and its basic processings also looking for documents and viewing other emulators sources can also help you to get a clear understandding on the maching your willing to emulate. but note don't use there source just learn from it don't plasurize it. :-| btw good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

as much as i hate refrencing this site (personal reasons) www.zophar.net has some decent technical documents on various emulation coding processes

i recommend you learn c++ if you don't know it, and at least have a basic knowledge of assembly because if you need speed or to reverse engineer something ,assembly is most likely the way to go.

The first thing you need to do is to choose a programing language, and to learn it. Unless you chose Visual Basic, it can take a long time until you will be able to use graphics and real time input. However, I recommand c\c++.

The second thing you need to do is to learn the system's language - the language the roms for that system are writen. You need to know this language perfectly - if you will igrone one function, every rom which use that function will not work on your emulator.

Only then you can start the research about the system, not to mention writing the emulator.