Hot Question 2

...My next question is for RPG's...

...What, do you think, makes the RPG experience better for the player? The story, the battle system, or the cutscenes?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two are important to an RPG, but you ARE playing a role of a character through a plot and story, thus an RPG without a good story is not a very good RPG.

HOWEVER, it also depends on the type of RPG. Hack 'n Slash RPG's don't require a good story, but if they lack in the battle system department they won't go anywhere and will suck.

As for cutscenes, flock cut scenes........they have nothing to do with the game, they just add a little flavour (or if overused, annoy the crap out of you)

good story first. if it's not good I am not gonna suffer through all those random battles. and since there are so many random battles the battle system better be damn good too. or it's just not worth it. Cutscenes are just flavor. the same plot points could be handled with out them.

I don't play many RPGs and if I do its PC ones. So I say its the story and battle system. But that's for any RPG.

And I like RPGs where I can customize my character's stats and appearance instead of just giving them a name.

The best RPG ever is Planescape: Torment.

The RPG experience is all about story. That is their cornerstone. I honestly think that games that call themselves RPGs but don't have a decent story aren't really RPGs at all. They are imposters. Like Icewind Dale. *yuck*

Although I do enjoy Diablo 2 alot...but I don't think it's an RPG. It's an action game with lots of RPG elements.

No, the best RPG is Final Fantasy; it has the best story no matter what

number. Also Diablo is just a hack&slash game which tends to become

extremely repetitive......

Axl are you trying to sound like a fanboy?

final fantasy ain't all that. X2 was like charlies angels on hash.

I don't see what's so good about FF either. Planescape: Torment had the most creative, imaginative, poignant and sublime story ever.

Oh, and it had Annah and Fall-From-Grace, too. :D