Hot Question 2

That $hit is great, i got caught like 10 times and stuff. When I restarted my game, I was like. OMFG I AMZ TEH 1337 HAXX0RZ!

Yeah, I agree. Deus Ex's hacking stuff pales in comparision. :lol:

Deus Ex doesn't offer a wide variety of cyberpunk options, IMO.......

Well, it's an FPS with a few cyberpunk stuff included. I never thought that it would have extensive hacking stuff. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since I haven't played them I didn't know that!! I played'em all up to 8!

Ahhhh...that explains it. I thought you were just insane.

9-11 brought the whole series down.

Hell no. FF9 was just what the series needed: A trip along memory lane.

Basara has it spot on, Planescape: Torment was an extremely awesome RPG. Great story but its been forever since I've played it. I must get my hands on it somehow. But I preferred Baldur's Gate II. The old D&D games were hard core as well. I think you can find those in the bargain bin now all packaged together.

Black Isle knows how to make a good RPG. :lol: I just want Fallout 3 now but I don't think that will happen.

Am I the only one here that prefers PC RPGs to console ones...? I think so.

But I am really looking forward to that game Fable for the XBOX. Peter Molenyux (sp?) has really scratched me where I itch. It's just such a great idea.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

FF7 reintroduced people into Final Fantasy and a graphical update.

FF9 was going back to it's original roots.

Tacitcs was ogre battle in Final Fantasy

FF10 both a graphical update and to show off the PS2's power with story line.

FFX-2 broke the grounds with the developers saying that there is no Final Fantasy Bible to make Final Fantasy games to begin with as the frist "offical" sequal to a Final Fantasy game.

FF11 was experiminting online.

FF12 Trying something new by using FFX-2's Battle engine and FFTA's races.

For years people wanted from like Final Fantasy Online, and we got it. And it's damn good compared to EQ. I did an indept first look into Final Fantasy 12 when their was barely any information on the game sometime last year by just using videos and pictures. From 7 to 8, it was the original FF7 Team and a bunch of new faces from Square's other RPG teams. 9 was a mix of the FF5 team and the FF7 team. Tactics was a diffrent team, the same team that made Vagrant Story. 10 and X-2 are the same one and the same teams, both mixed from past FF teams. FF11 was made with the head of the FF7 Team and the head of the Tactics team. 12 is being made by the same team that made Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance with some memeber from FFX.

So yeah, they mix and match teams to keep a fresh mark on developing these titles.

Peter Molyneux brought us Black & White....the man has talent, so Fable will be cool.

He also gave us Dungeon Keeper and Populous. Bullfrog was such a great game studio. :lol:

The first two are important to an RPG, but you ARE playing a role of a character through a plot and story,  thus an RPG without a good story is not a very good RPG.

HOWEVER, it also depends on the type of RPG. Hack 'n Slash RPG's don't require a good story, but if they lack in the battle system department they won't go anywhere and will suck.

As for cutscenes, flock cut scenes........they have nothing to do with the game, they just add a little flavour (or if overused, annoy the crap out of you)

Unless they're the cut scenes from Legend of dragoon. Those were so kick ass and gave a little extra flavor to the story, and sometimes the charaters talked so it gave you thier voice when ever you had to read the text (98% of PSX RPGs)

Peter Molyneux brought us Black & White....the man has talent, so Fable will be cool.

So does that mean that alot of the voise actors will be brittish? I only like the brittish accent when they're speaking in a thug tone of voise like "You stupid tart, go fix me dinner" <---gangster! :lol:

The most important part of an RPG is the battle system. Or even more important, the char development system. For instance, FFX sucked because it made you play some kind of crappy board game to make your characters more powerful. If you took the time to level enough, all of your characters could do EVERYTHING. Your black mage could attack for 99999 damage every couple seconds without giving it another thought.

For better examples, look at some MUDs (do any of you even play them?). They're basically a text based everquest. A "God" character, creates a world using simple commands. You move through "rooms", which could be an actual room, or a huge barren section of desert. At chargen you pick your race and class, and then that's usually it. Some MUDs (like Materia Magica) still let you move through almost every class, leading to 400 some identical level 440 characters. Which is utter crap... Others, like Ivalice ( A FF based MUD), never allow you to change classes, making a much broader character base.

Naturally there are still SOME problems with it. For one I'd like SOME graphics, even if they're not using the latest graphics engine. Even some Nes graphics would be okay, I just don't like reading so much text...especially when it's dull, boring, and copied and pasted from room to room. It would also be nice to form an acutal party, instead of just soloing the whole thing (which can technically be overcome by partying with other characters, I'm just not that social). If leveling takes to long you'll end up stuck for a few days in one area, killing the same mobs over and over again. Also combat is often automated physical attacks exchanged between the participating combatants (though ou can use skills and spells in addition).

As I've said before, visuals are also important. A game is almost nothing without a cool finishing move! One of the best parts of ANY game, is discovering/acquiring a new attack and trying it out on the next boss character.

Having annoying, crappy, cliche'd characters is also a major drawback to an RPG. Tidus, I'm looking at you... :D. Disgaea had some good, fresh characters (the main character is the Prince of Hell, how often do you see that?). Also containing good characters is Knights of the Old Republic, a Star Wars RPG. The conversations available between the characters are great. My favorite part of the game was on a side mission where you had to settle a land/kidnapping dispute among two rival families. I got around to a final confronation, where, through my expert verbal skills, managed to get them to kill each other...

And story, a great thing to have, it makes up for the lack of greatness in other sections. Though if it's TOO bad, like Wind Waker (granted, not a real RPG), you get annoyed and quit before you leave the first area.

So, with my rant over, I have determind the most important aspect of an RPG to be undetermined...though I hope that you may make better decisions based on my incredible info.

Edited by LordKanti