Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles

Alpha

America's Most Stolen Vehicles

The 1988-1991 Toyota Camry is a favorite among car thieves, according to the latest study by CCC Information Services, Inc.

by the Editors of MSN Autos

Two separate studies reveal the vehicles most stolen in the U.S.

The Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee top the NICB list as America's most stolen SUVs.

Toyota Camry

Honda Accord

Honda Civic

Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Ford F-150

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee

Oldsmobile Cutlass

Dodge Caravan

Ford Taurus

Toyota Corolla

Thieves still prefer cars over SUVs or pickups—especially the Toyota Camry, Honda Civic and Honda Accord.

In two separate studies, at least seven of the ten most commonly stolen vehicles in the United States are cars, with the Camry, Civic and Accord prominent in the lists.

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), which tallies all vehicles reported by law enforcement agencies as stolen each year, said the Camry was first in theft during its most recent study, which was for calendar 2002. The Accord was second. Both are among America's bestselling autos. In third spot in the NICB ranking is the Honda Civic.

The Arlington, Va.-based NICB does not list vehicles by separate model years; however, the most popular model year of Camry among thieves was 1989. According to the NICB, motor vehicle thefts in 2002 totaled 1.2 million, which was a slight increase over 2001. This is the third consecutive year of increase following a ten year decline.

Meantime, CCC Information Services Inc., a Chicago-based supplier of software and communications systems to auto insurers, said the 1989, 1991 and 1990 Camry models, respectively, topped its annual study of theft claims from insurers. The 2000 Honda Civic Si was fourth, followed by the 1994 Honda Accord EX and the 1994 Chevrolet C1500 4X2 pickup truck. Honda Accord models from 1994, 1995 and 1996 and a 1988 Camry completed the top ten.

Overall; however, CCC said car thefts—which it measures only as vehicles which are stolen and not recovered in usable form—were down 3 percent in 2002 from 2001.

According to CCC, thieves continue to target an increasing number of sport-utility vehicles and minivans, although the only truck or SUV in the CCC's top 10 for 2002 was the Chevy pickup. Overall thefts of minivans and SUVs rose 10 percent from 2000 to 2002, the organization said.

CCC does not include vehicles stolen for joyrides or otherwise recovered and returned to their owners, but only vehicles stolen and deemed a total loss, or never recovered. A vehicle is considered a total loss when the cost to repair it approaches or exceeds the value of the vehicle.

How the Two Studies Differ

The NICB figures come from FBI Uniform Crime Reports and include all reports of vehicle theft, including cars that have a few parts removed, are taken for joyrides and later recovered, as well as vehicles that disappear and are never returned to their owners.

In contrast, the CCC identifies the most-stolen vehicles by analyzing the total losses submitted to it by more than 350 property and casualty insurers in North American. On average, CCC valued more than 6,400 vehicles per day during 2002.

The NICB still urges car owners to take preventive measures. "Motorists driving theft-prone vehicles should consider taking additional prevention steps, such as installing a visible deterrent such as a steering wheel lock, an alarm, a starter or fuel disabler, and a tracking device," said Robert M. Bryant, president and chief executive officer for the NICB. "The more layers of protection on your vehicle, the more difficult it is to steal."

Thieves Follow Market Trends

The most commonly stolen truck, according to both organizations, is the Chevrolet full-size pickup. The Silverado is fourth on the NICB list for calendar 2002 and sixth on the 2002 CCC list.

Jeep's Cherokee and Grand Cherokee models are the most stolen SUVs, ranked together in the sixth spot in the NICB list.

According to Bryant, "Vehicle thieves follow market trends and target the most popular vehicles because they provide the best market for stolen vehicle parts and illegal export to other countries."

Here is the NICB top ten list—the number in parentheses is the model year most stolen:

1. Toyota Camry (1989)

2. Honda Accord (1994)

3. Honda Civic (2000)

4. Chevrolet Full-Size Pickup (1992)

5. Ford F-Series Pickup (1997)

6. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee (1993)

7. Oldsmobile Cutlass (1986)

8. Dodge Caravan (1994)

9. Ford Taurus (1996)

10. Toyota Corolla (2001)

This study is based on some 1.2 million motor vehicles reported stolen to the NICB in 2002 by law enforcement agencies nationwide.

The CCC's most-stolen vehicles for 2002 are as follows:

1. 1989 Toyota Camry

2. 1991 Toyota Camry

3. 1990 Toyota Camry

4. 2000 Honda Civic Si

5. 1994 Honda Accord EX

6. 1994 Chevrolet C1500 4X2

7. 1995 Honda Accord EX

8. 1988 Toyota Camry

9. 1994 Honda Accord LX

10. 1996 Honda Accord LX

The study is based on total losses from theft submitted to CCC by 350 insurance company customers during calendar 2002.

Credits: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?c...id=2891&src=Ins

So any of you guys had a car stolen from you before? I have had 2 Toyota's. :lol:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had an 88 audi quattro that was stolen from infront of my house. that car was bad a$$. the ford f-150 is on the list. I was a 2000 and wished it would get stolen everyday. heheheh. never did. I even left the keys in it at the mall in the ghetto. finally I got out from under that rock. gave that piece o' crap back to the dealer.

No, but I heard about this study about two weeks ago. I would have thought that trucks would have been high on the list. Then, I realized that the resale value on the Japanese car parts is sky high, and the Japanese stuff is everywhere, so it's like a car thief's dream, unless they have a connection to move the stuff to Mexico or something.

I'm surprised that more big trucks and wreckers don't get stolen. The transmission alone is like 4 grand at retail value.

HA!

My car is safe from all those stupid people.

I drive a 2001 Beetle GLX :(

[Yes It's Automatic]

*can't drive stickshift*

I want those minis... :lol:-_-

Holdens are the number one target for car thieves here in Australia. They are a popular car.

Noone steals my Dad's car, even when it's left unlocked. It's a really old Volvo, and nobody wants it! It has so much metal on it the military could easily convert it into a tank.

Noooo....my car is on that list....

1995 Honda Accord EX...:o

actually someone has tried to break in 3 times and each time they are unable to get passed the special anti-theft lock that it came with (ah jap imports...you gotta love the crazy addons :))...lucky the person was to stupid to break the window :D....

Anyways, I am getting rid of this car and buying a new Ford BA Falcon FPV GT-P:-

fpv_gt_p.jpg

Specifications

Engine

Bore & Stroke:  90.2mm x 105.8mm

Displacement:  5408cc

Compression Ratio:  10.5:1

Fuel System:  PFI

Engine Block:  Boss 290 - High-performance 5.4L Quad Cam 32 valve V8

Maximum Power:  290kW@5500rpm

Max Torque:  520Nm@4500rpm

Cylinders:  8

Valves:  4 per cylinder

Transmission:  5 speed manual

Gear Ratios

First:  3.38:1

Second:  2.00:1

Third:  1.32:1

Fourth:  1.00:1

Fifth:  0.68:1

Reverse:  3.38:1

Final:  3.23:1

Suspension

Front :  Performance Independent Double Wishbone.

Rear :  Performance Control Blade Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).

Brakes

System:  ABS

Front :  Ventilated discs

Rear:  Discs

Wheels & Tyres

Wheels:  8.0Jx18 Alloy

Tyres :  245/40 ZR18

Steering

Steering:  Rack and pinion, power assisted.

Towing

Towing Capacity:  1200kg(with brakes) 750kg(without brakes)

Dimensions

Length (mm) :  4917mm

Height (mm) :  1444mm

Width (mm) :  1864mm

Weight (kg) :  1740kg

General

Fuel Tank Capacity :  68 Litres

Edited by ForceX