Most Influental Co. Of All Time...

What Co. Has Had The Most Influence?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stop bickering over such trivial things.

It's not trivial at all, we're discussing who is the true pioneer of RTS genre which should be on this list instead of Ubisoft, Sony, or Namco. Those companies didn't pioneer anything. Well Sony did the Playstation...but Namco and Ubisoft have no reason being on that list.

Can someone tell me what Namco and Ubisoft have done to warrant their appearance on this list?

who ever did "command and conquer" was the true pioneer for RTS.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not trivial at all, we're discussing who is the true pioneer of RTS genre which should be on this list instead of Ubisoft, Sony, or Namco. Those companies didn't pioneer anything. Well Sony did the Playstation...but Namco and Ubisoft have no reason being on that list.

Can someone tell me what Namco and Ubisoft have done to warrant their appearance on this list?

Westwood Studios. I did love Command and Conquer. I prefered it over Warcraft.

Westwood's propaganda. :-D

Whats warcraft, i played part 3 once but it was all 3d and blocky. I perfered age of mythology. The command and conquer and the Age of "insert here" guys kick azz in all RTS.

Whats warcraft, i played part 3 once but it was all 3d and blocky. I perfered age of mythology. The command and conquer and the Age of "insert here" guys kick azz in all RTS.

Warcraft was made by Blizzard software. And the Age of "title" series was made by Ensemble Studios.

Its really tough to say and theres no way it is an easy and obvious choice. Nintendo comes to many minds simply because they were successfull in feeding the masses with Marketing skills. I mean hell, there were movies, tv shows, music, etc. all with Nintendo themes. So we all know who Nintendo is but that doesnt make them the most influential, simply the most recognized.

Who made pong? Cause that company could be considered to be the most influential by giving home users the ability to enjoy arcade-style entertainment at home for the first time. The popularity of it spawned a lot of other home arcade systems.........

Once we all had home systems (us older players) one thing that didnt feel right were those damn "conversions" from arcade to home. For the most part Nintendo had the best conversions on a 16bit system. Although there were a few Genesis titles that were superior. The funny thing about all that though was the fact that there was already a system that provided home users the actual arcade game, not a conversion. The company that did this was SNK. Does that count for anything?

It seems as we moved forward with home-consoles, the goal was to match or exceed that which we were playing in arcades. SNK provided gamers the real arcade games home over 12 years ago. It also provided home users and arcade players the ability to "save" their games. How much of an impact is game management today in our consoles? -- every system has a memory management system of some sort. The Neo-Geo had it first. How about system-link capabalities? Neogeo had one of the first multi-link games for home users (Riding Hero) that let people link their systems.

A lot of people will bring up the fact that although these features were introduced back then that it wasnt that big a deal since most people did not know or have a neo-geo. The point is that the technology was introduced, the features were out there for other developers to think about it. The greatest things we have today are simply enhancements of old technology.

Weve started out with home consoles/ companies that developed or created them but weve also mentioned PC games/companies. I'll ask the question: What criteria makes for the "most influential company"? Once we have that, we can make the real decision.

I thank Atari for my first Home Console

I thank Nintendo for showing me a real difference in video games at home.

I thank Sega for the first 16bit system and Stereo sound in my headphones! (didnt have stereo tv back then thank god for the headphone jack on the genesis!)

I thank Atari for introducing the first handheld with a backlit screen and features that I have yet to see in any handheld today (flip/rotate screen anyone?)-I never bought a freakin Gameboy till the Advance came out.

I thank SNK for the NEOGEO and bringing the real arcade games home and a Memory card to save my progress in Magician Lord and bacically pumpin out hot sh!t throughout the years!

I thank Sega for playing around with the idea that a game DISC might work with Sega CD (Saturn, Turbo Duo, PSX, Dreamcast, Ps2, Xbox, and beyond.....)

Im sure ive missed some things, but these were important to me.

Edited by N3oGhost

SNK AES was a collector's item, not for the everyday gamer. Since it was a perfect converstion from MVS to AES.

Atari brought gaming here in the first place, and gets my vote, because We wouldn't have home consoles. Just console games ( = pong system ).

Nintendo brought out the best in home consoles.

Sega proove worthy for it also.

Everything goes back to Atari and the 800. Gaming evolution has come far in 2 decades.