5) 720p support is better as well as its settings

6) Sorting Roms is better in nearly ever way

7) Hi Scores

Why FBA is better than CoinOPS

1) Large games load faster

2) Large CPS2 games play at perfect frame and dont have little glitchs

3) Easier keymapping

4) Graphics filters are more varied and work at a better framerate

5) Has some features like moves,saves etc setup for later more complicated games

6) because theres less games it makes choice simpler and simpifies the GUI

7) Can fast forward games eaisly (can do on CoinOPS as well but not as easy)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I have to say I used CoinOps before FBA, and before that I used MameoX 128 Plus. I have no favouritism towards any for any reason other than how well they work for me.

When I first started emulating arcade games on the xbox I just went to xbins and grabbed the latest file with the word Mame in I could find. Which was 128plus. It recognised all the roms I had on my pc for Mame32, and played most of them fine. I would still be using it if I hadn't chanced to read that CoinOps existed.

So I managed to get hold of CoinOps and tried it and it played some of the games MameoX had trouble with better. Which was good. But the one thing I was hoping it could do would be play the Capcom fighters without stuttering. It couldn't. Almost, but not quite.

Then I read that people used FBA for those CPS2 fighters, so I got it, updated my romset, and tried it. I was impressed by it's presentation, and very happy that it played all the Capcom fighters perfectly. I've stuck with FBA since.

I think FBA has a much nicer interface, I like the four categories, I don't need to sort roms by genre or popularity like in CoinOps. When I was using CoinOps, I turned all the colour coding off, it annoyed me, and I just ordered everything by name.

I like FBA's skin. So much I made my own. The large text and icons are great, everything is much easier to read, the whole thing just looks nicer to me. I also like the ability to add background music to skins.

I think the autofire in FBA is fine, you just push up on the right stick to switch between fast, slow and off. What's easier than that? On CoinOps I had to press back to switch it off, which meant adding a credit everytime you turned off autofire.

FBA's ability to play the Capcom fighters without stuttering is it's biggest win for me. They are the main reason I started emulating arcade games.

The only thing CoinOps has over FBA in my opinion is it's larger selection of games. However, out of all of them, there are only around 10 or so that CoinOps can play where FBA can't which I am actually interested in playing.

If the number was much higher, I would have kept CoinOps on my hard drive as well as FBA. But I don't think it's worth having two arcade emulators where one has over a hundred roms, and the other only ten. So I got rid of CoinOps.

If development on FBA-XXX Pro is to continue, the only thing I think needs to be done to it is bug fixes, certain games adding, and for those with HD tvs, fully working 720p support.

Edited by The-Ice-Man

Is it impossible to add all FBA good options in CoinOPS ?

Try to add the most possible in the code of the MAME emulator for filters etc ...

And if for some reason some option are impossible, you can also make like in Surreal64 XXX, using CoinOPS like a launcher who launch MAME or FBA.

The user can when it launch the game because the set are the same in 1.28 using the two engine, with theire avantages :)

I think it is a good idea, very flexible, easy to use, to have just one very good arcade emulator on our xbox and not many more :(

If it works very well you can also imagine add to coinops Killer Instinct, Daphne, ect ...

Because some have a very strange menu :(

Or just play two games ... :(

Bye

BONUS : The very good thing FBA have, but CoinOPS don't have, is the list of attack of the characters of the games :D

There is a DAT for MAME for that ... why don't add it to CoinOPS ?

Clutter :) is why I dont add moves.

Filters are easy to add but not optimsed well so it will slow down CoinOPS games alot.

Final burn alpha for me is about CPS2 and NeoGeo Fighting games and is heavly optimised for this and if I work on ill make it for them. Moves is good for that

Ice CoinOPS for old timers has 100s and 100s of great games that dont work on FBA and that is a real big plus to CoinOPS real big, and can never be underestimated

Also stuff like autofire the way its done will die in FBA under my watch as you cant change weapons and you have to turn it on/off in a menu...... so be prepared for this stuff if I do FBA :D but I take your points

Need to know dark what is better or worse really not the other stuff that will come with my new direction at present this is to find out why you would use one or the other?.

Can you guys give me a list of your top 10 favorite arcade games... im guessing if you like fighters you will like fba if you like old school it will be CoinOPS for sure...just a guess and its why the threads here

Your post just changed 3 times in front of my eyes as I refreshed the page, and it doesn't say it's been edited. Is that coz you're staff? It's optional when you're an Ultra Member - Robert

Anyway, let's see, can't pick out individual games coz there's too many I like. So I'll list my ten favourite series of games. Marvel/Xmen series, Street Fighter series, Darkstalker series, Mortal Kombat series, Battle Garegga series, Donpachi series, Metal Slug series, Raiden Fighter series, King of Fighters Series, 1941 series.

I basically like fighters and shooters. In terms of age, the earliest games I have are from 1987. When I was 2.

Though they didn't make the top ten I like most side scrolling beat em ups, and the odd puzzle.

Have all three Raiden Fighters in MAMEUI32. That's why they're in my top ten.

Edited by The-Ice-Man

I use the two emulator for different things.

I use CoinOPS because it emulate many many games i love who are not in FBA :)

I use CoinOPS also for CP1 and 2 because they are perfectly working on it, and i love the menu with just one time a game, not to see all the versions US JAP BOOTLEG etc ... i hate that :(

But i also use FBA for 3 things :

- The SAVE are perfect, in mame when i'm not finish a game with my childrens because it is late, i can save the game to continue an other day with them :( many times it is buggy ...

- Playing 2D fighting games like KOF ! They are faster to launch, but also like i write before we can see how to play ! You don't have use the Mame DAT for that, and it is not kool for all the guys like me who are not best and don't remember how to play all time ... (and childrens don't know the games and how to use fighters ...)

- The filters are more beautifull, for 2D fighting games i like this ... on mame now with HD it is better, but there is less choice... (it is the less important reason)

Thats all

Clutter :D is why I dont add moves.

Filters are easy to add but not optimsed well so it will slow down CoinOPS games alot.

Final burn alpha for me is about CPS2 and NeoGeo Fighting games and is heavly optimised for this and if I work on ill make it for them. Moves is good for that

Ice CoinOPS for old timers has 100s and 100s of great games that dont work on FBA and that is a real big plus to CoinOPS real big, and can never be underestimated

Also stuff like autofire the way its done will die in FBA under my watch as you cant change weapons and you have to turn it on/off in a menu...... so be prepared for this stuff if I do FBA :( but I take your points

Need to know dark what is better or worse really not the other stuff that will come with my new direction at present this is to find out why you would use one or the other?.

Can you guys give me a list of your top 10 favorite arcade games... im guessing if you like fighters you will like fba if you like old school it will be CoinOPS for sure...just a guess and its why the threads here

I use CoinOPS also for CP1 and 2 because they are perfectly working on it

Have to disagree with that, as my cps1/2 roms play much smotther in FBAxxx, whereas in Coinops

they tend to stutter in places.

:)

Though they didn't make the top ten I like most side scrolling beat em ups, and the odd puzzle.

Have all three Raiden Fighters in MAMEUI32. That's why they're in my top ten.

you can play raiden fighters2(2000) on coinops.

Well i have to agree with all the points in BP's first post, down to the letter. I also agree with The_Ice_Man's first post. I still have both emulator's on my xboxes. CoinOps plays more of the old school games which i love the most if im honest but FBA plays fighting games great. CoinOps for me suffers with options which i just dont use, like The_Ice_Man said, coloured rom status, sort by and other options. I just disable these optons. I have my roms in CoinOps sorted by name. The favourites colour status i use to highlight my LightGun games only. This serves to highlight them for the kids and the wife. In a way its not a case of CoinOps vs FBA as i use them both for different reasons as i suppose most users do.