BritneysPAIRS asks for *** FBA vs CoinOPS Thoughts***

BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS, you added a LOT of features in Coinops Ignite that I wanted like the HDtv support, screen resize options, and I can tell the sound core got improved. It plays so many great arcade games. The NeoGeo/CPS2 stuff doesn't run as smooth or as fast as FBA, but FBA does not run all the classic non-CPS2/NeoGeo games. They are both very important to have. Thank you.

I use FBA for CPS2/NeoGeo, and Cave games. All the other games, and I mean all of the other arcade games besides those, I play on Coinops Ignite. Best of both worlds.

I care far more about emulation accuracy and performance than features like GUI stuff.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NeoGeo runs on CoinOPS as good as FBAxxx (except for world hereo's series has some slowdown)

CPS2 runs on CoinOPS as good as FBAxxx (except for the very latest like XMVSF and some levels of SFA3 like the final stage....this is the reason ill be fixing FBAxxx as I love SFA3 and want it as good as it can be).

But it looks like the reason of everyone is what I expected really.... I still say FBAxxx is a mess GUI wise but the bones of it are so good it just needs polishing (like the 720p settings are silly why not make it auto detect the skin size) anyways keep thoughts going I am listening.

Had a thought, another feature of FBA I like is the fast forward/slowmotion on the right stick. Useful for getting past unskippable scenes and copyright messages. I don't remember CoinOps having this. Also the ability to pause the in game action and step forward frame by frame is useful for taking screenshots, where you want to capture a particular frame of action.

One thing in CoinOps favour, it saves highscores, whereas FBA does not.

For coloured rom status, i just use the RED for Lightgun and YELLOW for favorites games :)

The GREEN catherory is not verry important ...

But "sort by" and other options are very importants!

For exemple, when i search a game to play with my childrens, i search by player number or by cathegorie if i want fight or not :-(

Sorted by name, the roms are too many i think ...

Bye

FBA loads most NeoGeo games faster I noticed, but once the games are running I found it's pretty level pegging for both FBA and CoinOps. With highly detailed games though, like the Metal Slugs, FBA does better as you can overclock the CPU to avoid slowdown. CoinOps doesn't have that feature.

FBA loads most NeoGeo games faster I noticed, but once the games are running I found it's pretty level pegging for both FBA and CoinOps. With highly detailed games though, like the Metal Slugs, FBA does better as you can overclock the CPU to avoid slowdown. CoinOps doesn't have that feature.

I meaned even if your eyes can't notice it, the emulation is more accurate. If you wanna have an idea check the documentation on MAWS, all details are there. The first example that comes in my mind is the proper decrytion of M1, which is recent (few months ago) :)

NeoGeo runs on CoinOPS as good as FBAxxx (except for world hereo's series has some slowdown)

CPS2 runs on CoinOPS as good as FBAxxx (except for the very latest like XMVSF and some levels of SFA3 like the final stage....this is the reason ill be fixing FBAxxx as I love SFA3 and want it as good as it can be).

On my Xbox, the latest CoinOps stutters when playing CPS2 and NeoGeo games -- even with the VMM it has. FBAxxx (now 1.29) does not stutter ever. So for me FBAXXX is just better for the SNK and Capcom arcade games. I don't think it's that close between the two of them.

I meaned even if your eyes can't notice it, the emulation is more accurate. If you wanna have an idea check the documentation on MAWS, all details are there. The first example that comes in my mind is the proper decrytion of M1, which is recent (few months ago) :)

I now use the 1.29 version and I can tell that it is way more accurate -- there is no contest. Most people who are casual may not notice, but some of us that have been really into these arcade systems for years can tell. I have my AES unit still hooked up, so it is easy to notice when something is not accurate. Some of us might have a couple CPS2 boards too.

The graphics and sound emulations are important to be right on NeoGeo and CPS1/CPS2. 1.29 is handling this well.

Sure I agreed with big cps2 games running glitchy and as stated i would disagree with neo geo and older cs2 as they dont drop below 60frames a sec on my testers.... bigger cps2 drop to 48 frames a sec at times and average about 56 so yes it drops some frames... this is why I want to fix FBA gui in the first place to get SFA3 running 100percent.

Im aguing the GUI I would use CoinOPS all the way if it played CPS2 perfect as I can fix anything on it if I wanted to.

Load times and glitchless CPS2 is the reason why I wish to work on this. Im sure the drivers are more acurate and whatever but for me as long as they work at 60frames a sec im happy as (with no visible flaws).

Anyway I havent researched the diff version of FBA or looked at them and this is why the thread and the bug thread exists. If someone wants to talk about thing on MSN that has knowelge into all FBA issues and varience and doesnt have an axe to grind im free to discuss stuff on MSN and gain knoweldge into stuff