Exp44 is wrong

basilbr

Apparently neither of you guys know the difference between fighters and beat 'em ups. Or shooters and shmups. *sigh*

Hey we know the difference, but the argument is an all encompassing one, because even in a fps you are still 'shooting them up', same goes for street fighter2 as a 'beating them (one by one) up'. The ones im trying to avoid are the more hybrid games like AliensVsPredator(capcom),Manhunt and Condemned.

If you would like an argument about pure 2d shoot-em ups vs beat-em ups, have to do it in another thread :]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that, by being all-encompassing, there's a very real danger of crossing lines; www.doujinstyle.com has a game in their doujinsoft section which plays like a beatemup but has you dodging bullets like a danmaku shootemup. Suddenly, you're both championing it for diffeent reasons. Figure out your stances please.

How the hell is Capcom's AvP game a hybrid?

And a genre is a collective classification. You can't just use a term like 'beat em up' and expect it to mean whatever you want it to mean.

Because after you complete a couple of levels, you start taking on the marines, and loads more guns get dropped, so much so the game starts to play a little more like that older Aliens arcade game where u go around shooting everything, but still side scrolling

The problem is that, by being all-encompassing, there's a very real danger of crossing lines; www.doujinstyle.com has a game in their doujinsoft section which plays like a beatemup but has you dodging bullets like a danmaku shootemup. Suddenly, you're both championing it for diffeent reasons. Figure out your stances please.

Would you be happier if we limited it to just 1v1 fighters and fpShooters then? I'd say why don't you guys go argue about 2d shoot em ups vs beat em ups, but you both seem to prefer the shoot em ups

When basilbr told me on IRC that we should have an argument about this, I had no idea it could get this deep! Anyways, my arguments at this point are useless, seeing how I have pretty much no knowledge at these levels of the gaming genres. I'd rather learn from BK and others who know what they're talking about then sound like an idiot :huh:

Uhh, what?

Shoot-em-up - game that allow you to control a plane, ship, person that FLYING around the screen and shoot any enemies that appear on the screen.

Beat-em-up - 2D/3D game that allow you to control a man/female/robot/whatever in a interactive/non-interactive environment where you can see the person in the entierely and proceed to beat the crap out of the enemies that show up continuously on screen. Normally side scrolling unless it is 3D where it might be 360 degrees. Normally, allow one button for punch and one button for kick and one for jump with ability to dish out some nice combo fighting when pressing the right combination of buttons.

Fighting - ala Street Fighters. Enuff said

FPS - first person shooting where you don't get to see your character. You get to see all the actions from his/her/its point of view.

3FS - 3rd person shooting version ala Max Payne.

Feel free to elaborate more.