The Truth about RRODs

BlackKnight

Since it's launch in Fall of 2005 Xbox 360 systems all over the world have had major hardware failure problems resulting in millions of costumers having to mail their Xbox back to Microsoft. No one really knows what has been causing these problems since the official lines never divulged the specific problems or rates of failure. All a person has to do is to press the power button on their Xbox 360 and there is a chance that it will just up and fail to boot up and shine the "Red Rings of Death". Microsoft decided to extent the warrantee for the Xbox 360 but the cloud of fear and uncertainly still hang around the game system.

This past week I met and interviewed an individual who has worked on the Xbox 360 project for many years and they had some things that they wanted to get out into the public. I have the fullest confined in the integrity of my confidential source. While respecting and protecting his rights we were able to have an in-depth interview of working in the Xbox project and just how things progressed to this point. Just keep in mind that a while back I broke the story that Bungie was leaving Microsoft and had all the details a full week before the official PR announcement Once again I have a confidential source from inside Redmond and I't all checks out to me.

Read the whole thing here;

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/jake_...th_failures.php

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one really knows what has been causing these problems since the official lines never divulged the specific problems or rates of failure.

No, people have known what causes the RRoD for quite some time. Heat. which causes the MoBo to sag, which causes solders to fail. thats why x-clamp and penny mods fix RRoD. they support the MoBo and don't allow it to flex/sag. the towel trick works by overheating the box causing the solders to partially "resolder" themselves.

all that is needed by MS to fix the RRoD is MoBo posts in the center area of the box. but noooo they go with new chips and heatsinks ignoring the same problem over and over again.

well im just glad that ive got the new falcon board on my 360,apparently people who have this new board have said even after 4 hours continuos play there was minimal heat from the 360,so this can only be a good thing.So maybe m$ has finally got its act together.

No one really knows what has been causing these problems since the official lines never divulged the specific problems or rates of failure.

No, people have known what causes the RRoD for quite some time. Heat. which causes the MoBo to sag, which causes solders to fail. thats why x-clamp and penny mods fix RRoD. they support the MoBo and don't allow it to flex/sag. the towel trick works by overheating the box causing the solders to partially "resolder" themselves.

all that is needed by MS to fix the RRoD is MoBo posts in the center area of the box. but noooo they go with new chips and heatsinks ignoring the same problem over and over again.

They were fixed with the more recent 360s though. I never had a RRoD problem because of the condition I keep my 360 in (my room is cold cold cold!). This artical has pretty much do nothing overall, because alot of people found out about what causes the RRoDs. And inksauce tells it. It's practically a fatal unintentional design flaw that this happens. The towel trick makes the 360 hotter and doesn't "resolder" per-se, but rather makes the conducters expand enough for contact, I wouldn't recommend the towel trick as it can seriously end up overheating your whole box.

Fun fact, in all parts of the video game industry, Q&A testing is last step and is usually sped through to release items on time. More companies should invest their time in Q&A testing. Maybe they could of caught this flaw, but they aren't the ones gaming for 10-12 hours at a time without breaks.