The Christmas Thread!

fumanchu

Who really cares about capitalism? To everyone that says 'Christmas is all about consumerism' I've got news for you- so is every part of the rest of your life. It takes a special kind of self-righteous holier-than-now didactic to put a negative spin on a holiday about gift-giving.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all as well. Kinda early for this topic imo by whatever. Gifts and things are bought for my family so come Christmas time, just give them and spend time with them.

(It is a nice excuse of a day for people to spend time with people they care about/get free stuff)

PLUS THE HAM

Well, EM has to work. So I'm going to have Christmas dinner with my folks. Not much else planned. But there is supposed to be a big party for New Years, and I plan on getting smashed. Cause I rarely drink anymore, and all my friends are gonna be there, including those who I don't want to see, so yea, drinking is a must......

Capitalism? Whatever...... It's a time when people get together and spend time with one another. I enjoy getting gifts for people. And thats what it is all about. But... I'm only getting something for EM this year. And making something for my mom, thats it. But it's about being with those you care about.

I just hope my mom doesn't play any Christmas music.......

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Who really cares about capitalism? To everyone that says 'Christmas is all about consumerism' I've got news for you- so is every part of the rest of your life. It takes a special kind of self-righteous holier-than-now didactic to put a negative spin on a holiday about gift-giving.

because in today's society, it's become complete bull.

ok time for a history lesson. December 25th was, at one point, a pagan celebration of the winter solstice, then Julius Caesar, in an attempt to appease newly converted "christian pagans," he decided to change the holiday to "a celebration of Christ's birth," so that they still had their lovely little holiday on the same day. Now all it is is OMG IT'S THE HOLIDAY SEASON BUY GIFTS LOTS LOTS AND LOTS OF GIFTS! BLACK FRIDAY SALE OMG OMG SPEND SPEND SPEND. I mean sh­it it isn't even about Jesus anymore really except for the most devout of christians. It's all become one thing "so hey, what are you getting me for Christmas?" I mean I bet you, if you took a group of American children ages 5-12 or so and asked them what is the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to Christmas, a mast majority would say "presents" or "Santa", a few would say "Jesus", and I bet none would say being around those you loved and celebrating the season. Speaking of, what the flock is with the Santa bullsh­it?

santa.jpg

I mean why would one lie to their kids about some mythical character that they will find out, sooner or later, that Santa doesn't exist. I mean, why would you set up some poor innocent kid for disappointment like that? Not only that, but are you going to let some imaginary flock take the credit for all of our blood sweat and tears WORKING to get the money to pay for said gifts to give to your children? flock no. At least, I'm not going to. I'm going to tell them straight up what's going on and where the gifts come from. In fact I'll encourage them to spread the word, because no kid deserve to live in a lie. It's all retarded. My parents don't celebrate any holidays for one very specific reason. They think that being nice and caring to someone on certain dates of the year is stupid and that you should be nice and caring all year round? Think about it. Why exactly does it have to be on one day of the year? It's silly. I think this guy sums it up perfectly.

That's all I have to say about that, take it however you want. As for me, the only thing I like about Christmas is the gathering of family and friends, because that's a good thin. Too damn bad people only do a few times out of the year.</end rant>

Oh believe you me I understand where you are coming from. Also, I knew long ago that the 25th wasn't Jesus' birthday. Although I didn't know that tidbit, about the converting. I knew early on that Santa didn't exist, and I plan to pass the baton. But I think I found out on my own. People might think that its cute and all, little ones thinking about Santa, but I agree, it's silly. Santa = St. Nicholas: "He had a reputation for secret gift-giving, but is now commonly identified with Santa Claus."

Wikipedia: St. Nicholas

In his most famous exploit, a poor man had three daughters but could not afford a proper dowry for them. This meant that they would remain unmarried and probably, in absence of any other possible employment would have to become prostitutes. Hearing of the poor man's plight, Nicholas decided to help him but being too modest (or too shy) to help the man in public, (or knowing the man too proud to accept charity), he went to his house under the cover of night and threw three purses filled with gold coins through the window opening onto the man's floor. One version has him throwing one purse for three consecutive nights. Another has him throw the purses over a period of three years, each time the night before one of the daughters comes "of age". Invariably the third time the father lies in waiting, trying to discover their benefactor. In one version the father confronts the saint, only to have Saint Nicholas say it is not him he should thank, but God alone. In another version, Nicholas learns of the poor man's plan and drops the third bag down the chimney instead; a variant holds that the daughter had washed her stockings that evening and hung them over the embers to dry, and that the bag of gold fell into the stocking. For his help to the poor, Nicholas is the patron saint of pawnbrokers; the three gold balls traditionally hung outside a pawnshop symbolize the three sacks of gold. People then began to suspect that he was behind a large number of other anonymous gifts to the poor, using the inheritance from his wealthy parents. After he died, people in the region continued to give to the poor anonymously, and such gifts were still often attributed to St. Nicholas.

Heh, I like Gryphons rant there. It is true for the majority, and that is sad. But its no chore for me. Routine, yea... duh. But whatever.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

*snip*

...err but why is it a bad thing? Just because it is not the holiday it was millenia ago, or because it isn't what your educated self feels it should be, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. You bottom line is that is has become a holiday about giving gifts... wow. What a selfless, soulless time of year. Why do people focus on the money changing hands when buying presents and not the joy they end up bringing to people?

And as for modern myths like Santa, again, what is the harm? A lot of 'myths,' philosphical mantra and otherwise is just to add some colour to an otherwise mundane and meaningless existence. Having the intelligence to realise this is one thing, but lacking the maturity to understand why they are there is pretty sad. Does it make you a big man for shoving kids headfirst into the bleak realities of the world, just because there is no mystery left for you?

Basically your whole preachy negative stance spanks of 'I am so enlightened that I can see through petty social constructions and will therefore reject them.' Well done genius- you've missed the point entirely.

*snip*

...err but why is it a bad thing? Just because it is not the holiday it was millenia ago, or because it isn't what your educated self feels it should be, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. You bottom line is that is has become a holiday about giving gifts... wow. What a selfless, soulless time of year. Why do people focus on the money changing hands when buying presents and not the joy they end up bringing to people?

And as for modern myths like Santa, again, what is the harm? A lot of 'myths,' philosphical mantra and otherwise is just to add some colour to an otherwise mundane and meaningless existence. Having the intelligence to realise this is one thing, but lacking the maturity to understand why they are there is pretty sad. Does it make you a big man for shoving kids headfirst into the bleak realities of the world, just because there is no mystery left for you?

Basically your whole preachy negative stance spanks of 'I am so enlightened that I can see through petty social constructions and will therefore reject them.' Well done genius- you've missed the point entirely.

i agree with blackknight.take christmas for what it is and enjoy it.

"Christmas spirit" even under any name, is a great thing. I personally like giving gifts, as opposed to getting them. Seeing there faces when they see a gift that I put so much consideration for, is thanks enough. All my mom really wants, is to see me. Thats what it is about, and thats all that matters. ALL THAT MATTERS.

Reaper Man is the kind of guy that would make me come over and kick him in the bag, for teaching his kids to tell other kids Santa doesn't exist.

You shouldn't breed, you should be sterilized.

The whole Santa thing is fun for kids, hasn't "mentally scarred" anyone I know. Give me a break, stop being such a f**king grouch and grow up. It's fine if you aren't fond of the whole Christmas thing, but others are, so STFU with your misfit ideas of ruining the fun for everyone else. I don't like the whole capitalism thing either, but the gift giving thing is fun and doesn't have to be expensive unless you want it to be.

If your kid told my kid, Santa doesn't exist and that you told them to tell every other kid, I'd knock you the f**k out on your front lawn and mount a Christmas tree in your ass.