arcades!

fumanchu

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would depend on where you live. There are some places around here that are filled on Friday-Saturday nights, and they stay open realitivly late as well. Filled with competition for games.

Other places including Toronto, Vancouver, New York City, So-Cal and Texas also still have scenes.

That would depend on where you live. There are some places around here that are filled on Friday-Saturday nights, and they stay open realitivly late as well. Filled with competition for games.

Other places including Toronto, Vancouver, New York City, So-Cal and Texas also still have scenes.

theres a big arcade about 40 miles from where i live.about 5 years ago they had all the newest games.

now 5 years on the games have got less and less it just seems to be gambling machines now!!!

gimme back 1991 when streetfighter 2 was bringing back people to the arcades and the whole ressurgence started again.

final fight,streetfighter 2,alienvs predator........

people were queuing to play those!!!!and it wasnt a weekend thing either it was evey night!!!!

People go to great lengths to get to arcades. Pyrolee drives from AZ too SoCal just to play at Family Fun Arcade.

They're slowly becoming obsolete probably because of video game systems and junk. The only popular things for arcades to have are those rip off ticket games, racing games, fighting games, and gun con games (I'm guessing to appeal to the younger generation). I'm glad to say that I still have a few local arcade aka family fun centers near me.

Deja Vu!

I could swear we were talking about this same topic only a few weeks ago. :thumbsdown:

EDIT: Yep, not an arcade in sight. And if you find one around here, only racing games / first person shooters. It's a damn shame!

Deja Vu!

I could swear we were talking about this same topic only a few weeks ago. :thumbsdown:

EDIT: Yep, not an arcade in sight. And if you find one around here, only racing games / first person shooters. It's a damn shame!

what do you think is the main reason for them dying?

home consoles getting more powerful than the actual arcade hardware?

or because the market became so saturated with the same old games ie fighting games!

i really just think a lot of originality and innovative ideas are not there any more.

what do you think is the main reason for them dying?

home consoles getting more powerful than the actual arcade hardware?

or because the market became so saturated with the same old games ie fighting games!

i really just think a lot of originality and innovative ideas are not there any more.

Easily is that the home market is on par or better then arcade hardware (only one or two arcade boards currently are better then home consoles, Sega's Lindbrugh is one of them for sure). Back in 92, you had the SNES/GEN ports and then the much crisp, perfect sounding and looking arcade version.

This all started when the Dreamcast came out, since it shared nearly the same specs as it's arcade counter part, the NAOMI. It was undoubtably the most arcade-perfect machine at the time. Soul Calibur is the main attraction. As it was perfect to the arcade in quality, and added a bit of bonus features. System 256 is based on Playstation 2 hardware, but has more RAM and GPU power compared the PS2, which leads itself to decent 3D/lukewarm 2D ports on the PS2.

If there's one reason to go back to arcades is the play fighters TBH. It's the only place where you can get good (beyond online play). But the mentality is, why go to the arcade if it's just gonna get a home port afterwards.