How do you deal with stress and/or depression?

Alpha

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do I deal? Violent video games. Say what you will, but pounding a few rounds of hot lead into an alien just makes me feel happy. Not humans, mind you. I still have my sanity and common sense.

No, what we have is under-educated doctors pushing pills on people that don't need them, either because they don't have a solution to the persons problem, or it's the easier one. 9 out of 10 people on medication for anxiety or depression, don't need to be.

I do a little thing called "GROW THE HELL UP AND DEAL", medication is for extreme cases. Everyone else just needs to talk it out, and stop whatever the source is thats causing it.

No, what we have is under-educated doctors pushing pills on people that don't need them, either because they don't have a solution to the persons problem, or it's the easier one. 9 out of 10 people on medication for anxiety or depression, don't need to be.

I do a little thing called "GROW THE HELL UP AND DEAL", medication is for extreme cases. Everyone else just needs to talk it out, and stop whatever the source is thats causing it.

I'd agree with you for the most part, but if it really is a chemical imbalance or what have you, you can't just talk your way out of that. I've actually wondered if I wasn't depressed like that myself for the past few months. There hasn't been any drastic changes or anything, no big events, but I just don't enjoy things as much as I used to. Haven't done anything about it yet, I talk about stuff, y'know, but I'm not really getting anywhere. Might talk to someone more professional if I can't fix it on my own.

What I hope for is a new electronic appliance that can measure how much of a chemical imbalance you actually have. By estimating, sometimes I feel these Doctor's are prescribing too many miligrams of a drug to their patients. You just want to make sure that patient isn't overbalanced.

I don't know if such a device would be possible since the chemical imbalance is of neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine which would be very very tough to measure. Atleast I would think so with my limited knowledge of how nerves work.

I don't know if such a device would be possible since the chemical imbalance is of neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine which would be very very tough to measure. Atleast I would think so with my limited knowledge of how nerves work.

Maybe in the next 20 years then (I wonder if I'll still be alive?). Otherwise, that's definitely a real shame.

Perhaps such a thing is possible but they'd be expensive. You know how on the news or on science shows they show MRI results with those images of peoples' brains with parts colored at different intensities? Maybe that could be used. I'm not too knowledgeable about that...yet. Ask me again in 4 years. :banghead: