$7.3 Billion Spent on Games in 2004

Gryph

Figures provided by the Entertainment Software Association and NPD Group.

* Halo 2 took in more revenue in its first day than any movie has ever taken in its opening day

* Sales of the Nintendo DS went over 1 million by the end of 2004. Comparatively, it took the iPod 19 months to achieve the same feat

* Eight titles were sold per second per day throughout the year

* Console software sales - $5.2 billion (160.7 million units) - Up $300 million (11.7 million units) on 2003

* Computer software sales - $1.1 billion (45 million units) - Down $200 million (7.7 million units) on 2003

* Portable software sales - $1.0 billion (42.3 million units) - Up $97 million (4.9 million units) on 2003

* Record twelve console games sold more than one million units - Nine Rated 'Everyone' or 'Teen'

* 16% of games sold in 2004 were rated 'Mature,' 53% 'Everyone,' and 30% 'Teen.' 3/4 of the top twenty selling video games were rated 'Everyone' or 'Teen'

* Fifty console games sold more than 500,000 units. 197 sold more than 250,000 units

* Two computer titles sold more than 500,000 units, with 18 selling more than 250,000 units

* Console game players most often purchased action (30.1%), sports (17.8%), and shooter titles (9.6%). Other top selling categories were children and family entertainment titles (9.5%), racing titles (9.4%), role-playing games (9%), and fighting games (5.4%).

* Computer gamers most often purchased strategy games (26.9%), family and children's entertainment games (20.3%) and shooter games (16.3%), followed by role-playing games (10%), adventure games (5.9%), sports games (5.4%), and action games (3.9%).

Some impressive numbers. I think they perfectly illustrate the huge gap in the console and PC market. It comes to no suprise that many of them develop for console since it's more lucrative.

So...I wonder how much piracy affected those numbers.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a whole lot of sales. I'm pretty surprised about that halo fact, didn't know that many people liked it.

I equate the massive sales of Halo to the massive sales of tickets for Titanic and Celine Dion albums: they all suck, appeal to morons, and sell very well. :(

That's a whole lot of sales. I'm pretty surprised about that halo fact, didn't know that many people liked it.

I equate the massive sales of Halo to the massive sales of tickets for Titanic and Celine Dion albums: they all suck, appeal to morons, and sell very well. :(

Lol, so true...but I like Celine Dion.

(If you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic)