What to get for Christmas?

Shibathedog

Eh, I thought Burnout 3 was pretty cool. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a fun Arcade Racer and the crash levels (where you try to cause the biggest crashes) are unique to the series and a lot of fun.

And I'll second for Warhammer: Dawn of War. It's probably the best RTS game I've played since the original Command and Conquer. The races are varied but balanced, the "strategic point" based gameplay puts the emphasis on strategy more than running peons back and forth, and the individual units make for better tactics than "build a bunch of the good one and charge." The only thing that bothers me about it are the voices.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I thought Burnout 3 was pretty cool.  It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a fun Arcade Racer and the crash levels (where you try to cause the biggest crashes) are unique to the series and a lot of fun.

And I'll second for Warhammer: Dawn of War.  It's probably the best RTS game I've played since the original Command and Conquer.  The races are varied but balanced, the "strategic point" based gameplay puts the emphasis on strategy more than running peons back and forth, and the individual units make for better tactics than "build a bunch of the good one and charge."  The only thing that bothers me about it are the voices.

Come now, you should never logically "build a bunch of the good ones and charge". Most people do that, but they're all newbs. :rolleyes:

SCREW DS CONTROLS ARE crap! im serious get a psp its worth your money

i plan on getting a slim line ps2 , a control , killzone and san andreas , too bad im not rich and get every frikin thing i want.

Eh, I thought Burnout 3 was pretty cool.  It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a fun Arcade Racer and the crash levels (where you try to cause the biggest crashes) are unique to the series and a lot of fun.

And I'll second for Warhammer: Dawn of War.  It's probably the best RTS game I've played since the original Command and Conquer.  The races are varied but balanced, the "strategic point" based gameplay puts the emphasis on strategy more than running peons back and forth, and the individual units make for better tactics than "build a bunch of the good one and charge."  The only thing that bothers me about it are the voices.

Come now, you should never logically "build a bunch of the good ones and charge". Most people do that, but they're all newbs. :P

In most older RTSes, this is the usually the best option in terms of difficulty/reward. In the C&C games it was tanks, in warcraft it was grunts or berzerked ogres, in starcraft it was zerg or siege tanks, etc etc. There were much better ways to make things interesting, but that's what it usually came down to. And you could do that in DoW, and I suppose a lot of people probably do, but DoW rewards strategically thinking players more, and much earlier in a game, than other RTSes.

By the time you build your second important building, you already have choices to make about what your troops will be equipped to handle best, and those choices can make or break an attack. Once you get into the higher tech levels, units compliment each other and counteract opposing units much more than in most RTSes.