Evolution vs. Creation

OverlordMondo

I am always believe in "evolution". If a person has a change of behavior and pattern of life, I will called that "evolution" instead of "change". But Darwin's Theory of Evolution is well, only a Theory. No one has the proof yet!!! Especially the ape-evolve-to-human part. Well, it can be read from somewhere. i forget where :devilboy: Sorry.

Ok, a single person changing is NOT evolution. And when people say Darwin's Theory of Evolution is just a theory, don't know that in the science the word theory means a lot more than how it is normally used. In science a theory is "an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena."

Read this: http://home.comcast.net/~fsteiger/theory.htm. It's a pity people say and believe things without actually knowing.

Also, many scientists have stopped using the word Law since its too strong. In new textbooks you'll see Newton's Law of Gravitation as Newton's Theory of Gravitation.

And the ape evolve to human is absolutely incorrect, that is the general idea that lay people who don't know anything about evolution so they casually and incorrectly describe it as that. Humans and apes (we're all primates) share a common ancestor and evolved from that. Hell, humans share a common ancestor with sea stars since we're both deuterostomes.

EDIT: And there is PLENTY of proof of evolution.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI you can be a Christian and believe in evolution. I am a Catholic and believe in evolution. We treat the book of Genesis as an allegory. I'd go into its doctrine on evolution but its rather complex. The Catholic church is now actually very science friendly. Its a complete reversal of the end of the middle ages. Now its those wacky protestant fundamentalists who believe in every word in the bible literally. Though I doubt even most of them believe the world was created in seven days. Just go watch Inherit the Wind if you're confused on that.

There is a theory out there of 'intelligent design'. That's the successor to creationism. It basically says that evolution by chance is too unlikely and so there must be some intelligent hand molding species over the years. But this theory fails because most of its supporters try and insist that the world isn't as old as evidence suggests, so they always throw in nonesense like saying dinosaurs lived with humans and such which makes their theory untenable.

Basically the modern dispute between evolution and intelligent design proponents comes down to whether or not you think man evolved from something else. By saying man is a random evolution removes him from the center of creation and that is not something the intelligent design people will tolerate.

If you're interested in reading modern stuff of evolution, read something by Stephen Jay Gould. "The Panda's Thumb" is a good introduction to modern evolutionary theory.

:devilboy:

I think that there's too much proof for evolution to not take it into serious consideration. I don't for instance, believe, as christian fundamentalists tend to, that God put dinosaurs hundreds of miles under the ground to confuse people. That's not the deity I believe in and seems quite counter-productive ("Hmm I know, the best way to make people believe in me is to provide lots of proof to negate the bible!).

That doesn't mean that there isn't a spiritual presence in the universe, but I do think, given the turgid history of Christianity in particular, that it is time for a new, unified religion.

The fact is that the bible has been re-written so many times (and was in fact written about 100 years after Jesus's death) that even if it was the direct words of God at one point, it sure as heck isn't any more. Therefore, there is no point quoting the bible as proof of, for example, creationism (there's no saying that you're not quoting one of the many altered passages).

What we should do is take all the best parts from every religion, dump all the parts we know to be untrue or added in to appease the public (for instance, King James re-wrote the bible in 16-something or other to reinforce the notion that Kings and Queens had a divine right to rule), and create a new unified religion that has a wide enough banner to be accepted by everybody - that could be the way to world peace and tolerance.

Edit: Sultan, that was a damn good point about pure-evolutionary theory removing man from the centre of the universe. That's no doubt why so many people are hesitant to believe in evolution, they don't want to give up their position as the chosen species.

Edited by random guy

Genesis is an allegory now? Well, can't the entire Bible, then, be taken as an allegory? Is it only the incorrect parts of the book that are allegorys?

Anon.

Well, actually the Bible is an account of what has happenned since the beginning of the world. And if you have read the Da Vincei code, it has mentioned that the Roman Catholics has excluded certain gospels and paragraphs from the REAL account to mislead the world when the time they compile an official version of the Bible. Oh well... :devilboy:

I don't know what I believe really, I'm taking this chance to view all the facts. I know one thing, I was raised as a christian. My whole family is christian. "Those who do not learn from the past, are condemned to repeat it." So I applied history to the bible. I came up with this...

First off, God is an idiot. One reason. The two trees. He creates them, and then doesn't let humans eat from them. Why? Who knows?! No one knows! He's an idiot! Why create them if they serve no purpose!? One must now assume they have a purpose. But it's not for the human's purpose, because we can't eat them. So who are they for? God? The flock...

Speaking of flock, we're often referred to as sheep. He is the sheperd and we are his sheep. I ain't anyone's livestock, screw that. The fact that he DIDN'T want us to eat from them, proves that he created us out of want. He wanted mindless worshippers to follow him around and do as he said. He has weaknesses that we don't know about, and he didn't want anyone else with knowledge and/or immortality.

God is a tyrant. By definition, he is a tyrant. No one else makes decisions on anything. According to christianity, we're not even supposed to. We're supposed to let him control every aspect of our lives. This supports the mindless slaves theory. Remember Lucifer? Banished from "Heaven" for opposing god. Horrible.

Remember what happened when humans started to oppose god? He killed them all! He flooded the earth! Stalin, Hitler, they killed their fair share of people. But god? He ended humanity altogether! Only one family survived! Tyrant!

I saw something on South Park, thus partially negating it's relevence, where god killed off a man's family and livestock, destroyed his possesions, and gave him horrible sores across his entire body. Why? To prove to Lucifer that the poor guy would still worship him. He tortured a man to win a bet. I can't believe people worship this guy. This ALSO adds to the brainless worshipper section up there. Only an idiot would continue to like someone after he/she destroyed everything in his/her life.

(Will continue later, I have other homework. Keep it up guys.)

I saw something on South Park, thus partially negating it's relevence, where god killed off a man's family and livestock, destroyed his possesions, and gave him horrible sores across his entire body.  Why?  To prove to Lucifer that the poor guy would still worship him.  He tortured a man to win a bet.  I can't believe people worship this guy.  This ALSO adds to the brainless worshipper section up there.  Only an idiot would continue to like someone after he/she destroyed everything in his/her life.

(Will continue later, I have other homework.  Keep it up guys.)

That's the proverb of Job. It's in the bible (or is it the torah?)

But if God had that kind of hands-on action back then, why isn't he flooding the whole planet now! Lord knows there's enough violence and hate to piss off the Big Man, if he got so annoyed back then before we had nukes and chemical weapons, and the leader of the free world was torturing people in less fortunate countries..etc...

He's like "meh."

You do something bad, just say "forgive me god" then he goes back to playing chess with himself, or goes back to sleep.

I saw something on South Park, thus partially negating it's relevence, where god killed off a man's family and livestock, destroyed his possesions, and gave him horrible sores across his entire body.  Why?  To prove to Lucifer that the poor guy would still worship him.  He tortured a man to win a bet.  I can't believe people worship this guy.  This ALSO adds to the brainless worshipper section up there.  Only an idiot would continue to like someone after he/she destroyed everything in his/her life.

(Will continue later, I have other homework.  Keep it up guys.)

That's the proverb of Job. It's in the bible (or is it the torah?)

But if God had that kind of hands-on action back then, why isn't he flooding the whole planet now! Lord knows there's enough violence and hate to piss off the Big Man, if he got so annoyed back then before we had nukes and chemical weapons, and the leader of the free world was torturing people in less fortunate countries..etc...

It's in both Torah and Bible. The Old testament is taken from Torah, I might say.

Christianity is a borrowed religion, just like Islam.

And K'Dash...

"You do something bad, just say "forgive me god" then he goes back to playing chess with himself, or goes back to sleep. "

The trick here is once you really repent, you musn't repeat the mistakes. Once you ask God for forgiveness, you must truly repent. But well, some don't....like me :devilboy: