[9/1/04] Dragonball Z Supersonic Warriors

Game Name: Dragonball Z Supersonic Warriors/ Bukuu Tougeki

Systems: GBA

Genre: team-based beat'em up

Emulators: Visualboy Advance

titlescreen.bmp

This is the latest DBZ game produced by FUNimation and I believe the 5th DBZ game for the GBA. It is slightly different than Taiketsu since it's team-based and now you can actually be a super saiyan without having to perform a desperation move. The game has 6 game modes as follows:

Story Mode - self-explainatory; nice feature is the "what if" story for each character.

ka.bmp

Z Battle mode - you choose either a 1on1 battle or a team and you pit yourself up against 8 different fighters/teams and have at it for fun. After each battle,you get a score based on how well you did. You do not receive points in this mode. Your characters are also limited to level 4 (cumulatively).

Challenge Mode - the best way to get points so you can unlock characters and game modes. Basically, you choose one character/ a team and fight 8 predefined teams each giving you a set amount of points. Again the team must not exceed level 4 alltogether.

Free Battle Mode - the simplest mode, you fight for fun, and are not limited level-wise but you do not win points.

bigwave.bmp

Training Mode - divided into practice and tutorial, self-explainatory

Link Versus - play with a friend via gba link cables

Option Mode - here you can set game variables, access the shop to buy stuff with hard-earned points and see the ranking lists.

There are a total of 13 characters in the game each with 3 forms, most though being exactly the same as the last, a good example being Dr. Gero who does not change anything in any of his forms. They are as follows: Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Piccolo, Krillin, Captain Ginyu, Frieza, Dr. Gero, Android 18, Cell, Buu, Gotenks;

Also for some desperation moves other characters appear to do them:

Tenshinhan(does his Tri-beam Cannon), Recoome(does his Eraser Cannon), Jeice (does his Crusher Ball), Guldo(does his Kinetic Stop), Android 16(does his Hell Flash), Android 17(does a barrier together with 18), Namek Saga Gohan(does a big ki ball).

tenshinhan.bmp

The battle system is very good consisting of flying, swooping, grapple maneouvers guard crushing, and desperation moves; The characters are changed whenever you want with the L button; There is no beam strugle or hyper melee in the game however, but it is light years beyond Taiketsu gameplay-wise.

The graphics are very good for a GBA game; The control is simple and easy, the sound fits the game quite nicely without standing out in the crowd and the music can bring you in the beat'em up mood.

The game itself is extremely fun to play although it was hastly released and it could have been alot better mostly in the forms and moves department, but it still shines, erasing the bad memory of Taiketsu, and shows that FUNimation can make good DBZ games when they put some hard work into it.

A must have for DBZ fans and novices alike.

Gameplay: 9.0

Speed: 9.5

Sound: 8.5

Controls: 9.0

Score 9.0

Grade: B+

Overall, I gave this game a :o

Edited by axl

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okeeeeyyyyyy, how about some screenshots?

actually, from what i read, this game seems like a fanboy tribute and lacks the depth that makes a fighting game great, but i'll withold judgement until i play it or at least see some screenshots...

And Gryph:

"Sh*t, i think i ran over Bill and Ted..."

back_to_the_future_large_02.jpg

okeeeeyyyyyy, how about some screenshots?

actually, from what i read, this game seems like a fanboy tribute and lacks the depth that makes a fighting game great, but i'll withold judgement until i play it or at least see some screenshots...

And Gryph:

"Sh*t, i think i ran over Bill and Ted..."

back_to_the_future_large_02.jpg

dude, screenshots soon

also keep in mind this was my first ever review

thx for the encouragement.... :o

I love those movies! :o Ima go watch 'em now.

Anyway, game. Personally, I thought the graphics were blurry crap, and the gameplay was shallow and short. I didn't get more than two hours out of the game (thank god my brother paid for it).

• 3 months later...