Nintendo DS Vs PSP

You seen both of them now...which one will be successful?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if this has been done before (I've read some comments about this issue in K'Dash's E3 news stuff). But if it hasn't, lets do it, but if it has, lets do it again.

I don't want to get into specs and stuff so ill just make comments on both.

Nintendo DS: N64 like graphics, wireless multiplayer, backwards compatible with GBA, PDA screen, internal microphone, huge support.

Sony PSP: Play movies and Mp4 Playback, PS2 like graphics, great support, (thats all I know now, please tell me more and ill add it.)

Personally, I believe the Nintendo DS will be victorious. Nintendo has never lost in the handheld business. Yeah, you might say "Yeah, well, Nintendo never lost in the console business until sony came, blah blah blah."

Here is the main thing I like about the Nintendo DS. I don't care that it has two screens and that crap, but its backwards compatible. That means that in addition to play DS games, it can play the 1000 plus gba games, and thousand plus GB/GBC games. Thats a whole lot of games! When you get the psp, you will have to wait for sony to build up their library of titles.

Another key factor is battery life. Nintendo's DS sounds very capable of giving the player acceptable game time. However, the PSP is going to be a huge power guzzler because of its massive power. Really, IGN is speculating that the PSP will only be able to play 10 hours straight MAX before you need to recharge it.

The thing is...I rather play N64 like games for 10 + hours...then to play the Sony PSP and run out of juice in a few. Handhelds are supposed to be portable, I don't want to use a A/C adaptor and sit near a power socket to enjoy my handheld.

Thats my 3 cents, whats yours?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the way the PSP looks. Very sleek and sexy. Though it looks very delicate.

I can't really decide who will win this because lots people will be attracted to the PSP's super mega awesome graphics and others will be Nintendo's super mega awesome franchises.

I would go with Nintendo because of its backwards compatibility. But Gran Turismo 4 on a handheld...*drool* Atleast Nintendo finally has some REAL competition.

Atleast Nintendo finally has some REAL competition.

Areed. The PSP might be the first handheld to SERIOUSLY challenge Nintendo's position at the top. No other handheld has stood much of a chance against the big N. The PSp should change all of that, provided it gets the support it deserves.

I watched both company's Press Release Conferences and I must say that the DS will stand out. I've never seen so much support for Nintendo in such a long time. (For those of you don't know, DS is as thick as an SP, and as wide as a GBA). For the PSP, I'm really afraid I'll break the screen =/ But Nintendo has actual competition now, and thats great.

PSP gets my vote. ds reminds me of the old nintedo b/w handhelds (game & watch i think their called) while nice it doesn't really catch my eyes as psp does (gt4, nfs:u, metal gear, need i say more?)

sony is also gonna be putting this out as the next discman of sorts so its gonna have some support (ea putting out at least 4 of their games for its release in usa, thats great support :P )

I need pictures! But anyways, Nintendo did have great competition back in the day. Game Gear's graphics were stunning compared to Game Boy's. But alas, Nintendo's marketing was much to good for Sega to even compare to.

BTW, I want to see Nintendo FAIL! Fall on your asses for once dammit! I vote PSP only because I can watch movies on it. ^^

P.S. I hate Sony, but a portable PS2 is too good to not try out.

Edited by Gouken

I need pictures! But anyways, Nintendo did have great competition back in the day. Game Gear's graphics were stunning compared to Game Boy's. But alas, Nintendo's marketing was much to good for Sega to even compare to.

BTW, I want to see Nintendo FAIL! Fall on your asses for once dammit! I vote PSP only because I can watch movies on it. ^^

It's called Virtual Boy. I'm glad no ones heard of it.

I'm not upto Sony's PSP. I find the DS likeable because it already has thousands of titles to work with on release. Yes, thats right, It's backward compatible with every GB/GBC/GBA game.

It's called Virtual Boy. I'm glad no ones heard of it.

I'm not upto Sony's PSP. I find the DS likeable because it already has thousands of titles to work with on release. Yes, thats right, It's backward compatible with every GB/GBC/GBA game.

Oh my... Well that certainly is a plus! But hopefully mini disc's are the future of hand held storage devices. Even though their are so many good things about a cartridge, one of the bad thing's about it is the lack of memory that can be stored. Sony's got the right idea, hopefully Nintendo will realize after the DS is obsolete that everyone already OWNS a Gameboy in some form or another. So switch mediums and go mini disc dammit!

:( Virtual Boy... Thanks for reminding me! :lol:

Edited by Gouken

Actually, DS's exclusive media carts hold 1 Gigabit of space, which in turn is just as much as it's older brother's media (Gamecube) UDM disks are modeled after mini-disks, so I don't expect upto 1.5 gigs of space.