Mpaa And Riaa Really Cracking Down

Have the recent legal happenings spooked you from downloading?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just saw this letter on Slashdot just now and was wondering if any of you have gotten such letters.

Have you been intimidated by these brutes or still stand strong?

I find it a bit creepy that they can pinpoint the exact file and crap that you're getting. I wouldn't say I'm spooked, but if I got a letter like that, I'd lock all the doors, board up all the windows, and hide under my bed. The MPAA and RIAA would send their ninjas (crappy ninjas since they work for the 3vil) to kill me.

EDIT: flock, I misspelled America...can one of the mods fix it, please.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its called remixes. Can't really get in trouble for those lol :blink:

The RIAA is scary. but you probably won't get in trouble as much if you only have a few songs. They'll just tell you to delete them and fine you a couple hundred dollars.

Now those guys with tons of gigs of music will get charged A LOT!!!!

I live in Canada, where the equivalent of the RIAA was PIMP SLAPPED by the courts and told they can't force ISPs to divulge information or anything of the sort.

I feared not 6 months ago, I fear not now. :blink:

I ain't scared of the RIAA... I don't share anything of importance to them (i only share roms and stuff).

The scary thing I find in this letter is that they caught the user from using BitTorrent... then again, this user might also be not firewalled :blink:

Anon.

The scary thing I find in this letter is that they caught the user from using BitTorrent... then again, this user might also be not firewalled :blink:

Yeah, that's the part I found rather unsettling. I guess the MPAA has started monitoring BitTorrent since they know thats where a lot of action is going on.

I need to download a firewall, which one do you guys use?

if it's for musik, then I don't think I'll get in trouble cause SBC won against the RIAA in court...so...idk if it also goes for the mpaa though....

*wonders where Violence and Magnis are*

I use Zone Alarm and Peer Guardian. As for the RIAA, the main way they were catching people before is that they had a list of songs (using kazaa as an example), would search for the songs, find someone with them, and use the More from the user option to see what you had. ANd if you had enough songs and were unlucky, they got your IP, found out who you were, etc etc. Thats why kazaalite changed it to to hide your IP.

With Bittorrent it would be rediculously easy to to catch people. They could host their on tracker if they wanted to, and that way they could get IP's easily. And most Torrent programs let you see the IP of the people you are Dl'ing and Up'ing to, so same thing.

Thats why kazaalite changed it to to hide hide your IP

not only that but you can select not to share and not show your list :-D

my vote is No, most of my music collections come from using mirc :blink:

Edited by Prican25

RIAA seems to be as paranoid as Nintendo when it comes to copyrighted material...

You guys can move to Canada, I'm staying here. :blink: