Folding@home

Gryph

Texas the program uses the extra cycles of your CPU, which are redundant anyway and uses them to solve complex algorithms...which will then help them create a cure for deadly dieases.

So they're buming off my computers power just for their selfish acts of heroism, i dont buy it buddy. :ph34r:

You're kidding right? How else do you expect them accomplish this? Its a lot cheaper than buying super computers. And read the FAQ where they explain why Folding@home is better than using super computers. Because more people can do it so its better. More cost effective. And just better.

I'm just waiting for Gamecop or Magnis to signal and OK this since only they have the authority and right to form a 1emulation team.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright, if you succeed in making a 1emulation team I'll do it.

So far it doesn't seem like its going to happen :ph34r:

Oh well, I'm still folding for team Icrontic, even though I haven't been to that site since the new management.

Why is it weird Agozer?? Folding@Home helps the cancer researchers with vital research, which might one day help you or someone you know..

Ahhhhhh....I might have misread Mr. G's post.

If GameCop decides to make a 1emulation team I will start folding as well...I used to do it for OCAUST but after my computer crashed from a virus I couldn't be bothered to setup the software again....

Universities eat this stuff up so why arent they playing along, donating their on-campus computers for this cause and at the same time creating inter-collegate competition and homework for their students?

Even high-schools and elementary schools........seems to me that the average joe would be the last pool of resources to dip your feet into.

Universities eat this stuff up so why arent they playing along, donating their on-campus computers for this cause and at the same time creating inter-collegate competition and homework for their students?

Even high-schools and elementary schools........seems to me that the average joe would be the last pool of resources to dip your feet into.

Schools don't want people to install software other than those prescribed by them. And universities are doing it. Check out the Team stats page.

In highschool we had a little 5 person team running, but since we didn't have internet in our rooms we had to install them on the school computers and we got in trouble.

And most of Folding@home teams are online communities such as HardOCP, Icrontic, Overclockers.com, MaximumPC Magazine, ArsTechnica, Futuremark, Apple, AMDmb, Anandtech, and many more.

Kind of seems like a scam to me. I'm reading through this site and even though I wouldn't do it anyways because I got enough computers on this network using the internet already :lol:

This seemed fishy to me

The location of the dot indicates the location that the IP address is registered, and therefore is frequently the location of the internet service provider, not the user.

IP Address + Location = RIAA can find you easily if ur using warez or anything else.

Soo yeah, why would they want you to download their program anyways. It kills your CPU speed so they can figure out who knows what :D. I would be more than happy just to hand them a few dollars or so rather than run a unknown program...

Unless someone decompiles it :lol:

Kind of seems like a scam to me. I'm reading through this site and even though I wouldn't do it anyways because I got enough computers on this network using the internet already :lol:

This seemed fishy to me

The location of the dot indicates the location that the IP address is registered, and therefore is frequently the location of the internet service provider, not the user.

IP Address + Location = RIAA can find you easily if ur using warez or anything else.

Soo yeah, why would they want you to download their program anyways. It kills your CPU speed so they can figure out who knows what :D. I would be more than happy just to hand them a few dollars or so rather than run a unknown program...

Unless someone decompiles it :lol:

Now stupid people who won't notice your smileys will be like "DUH! What!? RIAA? No! Folding@home is evil. I don't want to help the pursuit of science. Duh..."

And the RIAA hasn't won the government law that allows them to dig in your computer. Not yet atleast. All they can do is pester the ISPs to give them records on people upload and download rate. But they're worried about uploaders since they are the providers. Kind of like how drug enforcement goes after the dealers first, so they can get rid of the supply.

Just to clarify for the people that won't bother reading the FAQ, Folding@home uses spare cycles on your PC. So it won't conflict with anything that you do. Unless its ultra processor and memory intensive. Then you can just pause it or shut it off.