Folding@home

Gryph

Folding@home

This is a distributed computing project which studies proteins which can lead to new discoveries in diseases and cures. It's a very good cause and it takes up just a few system resources. You can turn it off when you want to play a game, and just leave it on when you're computer isn't doing anything or not doing anything processor intensive.

So, how about we create a 1emulation team and compete with some of the other teams in seeing how much we can fold. If not for the competition, its a very good and important cause.

So how about it?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the FAQ:

I'm behind a firewall, can I use Folding@home?

Yes. Please configure your Firewall or Proxy server in the config panel. You can reach the config panel by right clicking in the graphical display or by clicking on the task bar icon.

What about security issues?

We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input out the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security.

Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.

well whats from preventing some clever little computer-nerd mischief maker from using the stanford server to send a virus to everyone using the prograM?

What's preventing someone from hacking Yahoo! or Google or even 1emulation and have them send malicous code to anyone that visits? Take some risks...geez

The chances are extremely low, and it's Stanford! They 0wn everything.

Texas the program uses the extra cycles of your CPU, which are redundant anyway and uses them to solve complex algorithms...which will then help them create a cure for deadly dieases.

So they're buming off my computers power just for their selfish acts of heroism, i dont buy it buddy. :ph34r: