What's Up With Fighting Games Now A Days?

I remember back in the day I could go to the arcade and play a fighting game against people and enjoy myself. Pop in a few quarters and have a hectic match of Marvel Superheros or King of Fighters 98 and just enjoy myself. Now, it seems like going to the arcades to play fighters is just too fustrating and too much of a chore. I was walking past my local arcade and I was about to go in for some competition, but I just didn't. I knew walking inside would lead me to more fustration.

I don't know if it deals with the evolution of games and the evolution of players skill or game developers just don't take the time to put effort into really thinking about their games. This is mostly my experience from visiting arcades in my region.

Okay, let me start with my biggest gripe, Snk vs. Capcom:Chaos. This game pisses me off to no end and here's my story.

SvC:C came to one of the local arcade a few months after it was initially released world wide and it had everything opened from the beginning. Currently there was nobody playing the machine so I pop in some quarters and begin fighting against computer with Terry Bogard and I'm kicking it's ass pretty good so I'm thinking "Wow, this game is sweet!" Then some little kid comes around and pops in some quarters to play to me and he picks Violent Ken. I didn't know what to expect from him so my first attack on him was a jump kick, bad mistake. Instantly he had me in an infinite dealing with his dragon punch and his teleportation, he'd mix in a super combo now and again, but he'd always continue with his infinite, I was dead. Next round he was able to start a combo that launched me into the air via a special move cancel and once again.. dead. I'm standing there like "What the hell?!" I literally just walk away from the arcade. When I get hit and from there I have no oppertunity of winning I just walk away. So I go home and practice this game like crazy until I mastered the cancels and I go back to the arcades and I play some people (using Kyo) and I'm pretty much doing what happened to me, special move cancel infinites. They're getting so pissed off at me because of what I'm doing. "Oh me god you're so cheap!" "You suck!" "Play me fair!" Is stuff they'd say. So, I decided okay, I'd stop doing the cancels with my next opponent. He picks Chun Li. We have a normal fight, playing mind games with each other which was pretty fun but then as soon as Chun Li went into her Maximum Guage he was able to combo me until I died. The people around me are laughing "Hahahaha! That's what you get! That's what you get!" Then next round I lost too. I relinquish my spot and head to the back of the line. This guy with his Chun Li takes everybody out (so now everybody at the arcade is pissed at both of us) and it gets back to me again and I get back and picked Terry Bogard. The first match I make a mistake, I'm comboed to death with an infinite. Next match he made a mistake, I combo him to death with an infinite. Third match he wins cause of a mistake I made. I walked out of the arcade, it just wasn't fun. Matches determined by who makes the first mistake without a chance of a comeback, bleh.

Before SvC:C I had stopped playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I just can't compete with people who are good with Magneto. Magneto can be anywhere he wants to be in one second and if you're on the ground it's over. It's somewhat scarey not being able to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 unless you use a team who works well in the air, because anybody on the ground Magneto can dominate and stay in control of the match. I was good in this game, but when the Magneto revolution come around I usually liked to stick to the ground, so I was nothing.

Capcom vs SNK2 pisses me off because people have figured out the now roll cancels. Or should I just call them what they really are, temporary invincibility. It's so annoying now with people that if you do something they can instantly roll, roll cancel, and catch you with a super combo since they're invincibile through your attack. I loved this game because it was mostly about mind games, but when the roll cancel stuff was discovered I was done with it.

I've always hated Guilty Gear X and Guilty Gear XX in the arcade. The programming for those games are garbage. Easy infinites, combo loops, throw infinites, throw priority, burst infinties, combos that lead to destruction moves which you have no hope of escaping, it all just got to me. I have especially learned to hate Sol Badguy. He's god in that game. I remember my first time playing against a Sol Badguy player, he was able to just run up to me, throw me, and just dominate the entire match from their. I could barely touch him. Whenever I did touch him he just did a burst infinite. Grrr...

Tekken 4 I just can't get into it. Matches of Tekken 4 are just two people stuttering back and forward, each trying to bait the other person to leave an opening for an attack, then quickly a big combo is launched and the fight is over. That's it! It's no fun.

There's a Virtua Fighter 4 machines, but i never see them get played too much.

It's like the only time I have fun is playing the older games at the arcades with some people who still play them but that's rare around me to see somebody playing an older game. So usually it's just me playing against the computer.

I think maybe I should just retire from fighters. I've seen videos of King of Fighter 2003 in action and it looks like more of the same. DuoLon as I've noticed has an easy infinite that is way too easy and I already see it getting exploited alot in videos. Maybe it's just the fact the competition is tough around my way which is good. I don't know. Fighting games just aren't fun to me anymore.

You know, I really wish there was a Garou:MOTW arcade machine my way, I love Garou:MOTW, but I've never seen or heard of one in the US.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of the contents of your post, but NEVER EVER diss Guilty Gear XX near me. Strike one. :P If you don't want to see infinite Bursts or whatever in GGXX, play against me.

Anyway, I'd pick Virtua Fighter 4 over Tekken 4 anyway...Virtua Fighter or Tekken Tag Tournament.

Edited by Agozer

I agree with most of the contents of your post, but NEVER EVER diss Guilty Gear XX near me.

yeah me too! ;)

and Agozer, i challenge you to a match.

i'll use my favorite boy in drag Bridget :P

drag.jpg

I envy you.  At least you have those arcades in your town, unlike me.  I have to play the rom.

I don't have an arcade near me either....or then I haven't looked hard enough.

I remember back in the day I could go to the arcade and play a fighting game against people and enjoy myself.  Pop in a few quarters and have a hectic match of Marvel Superheros or King of Fighters 98 and just enjoy myself.  Now, it seems like going to the arcades to play fighters is just too fustrating and too much of a chore.  I was walking past my local arcade and I was about to go in for some competition, but I just didn't.  I knew walking inside would lead me to more fustration.

I don't know if it deals with the evolution of games and the evolution of players skill or game developers just don't take the time to put effort into really thinking about their games.  This is mostly my experience from visiting arcades in my region.

Okay, let me start with my biggest gripe, Snk vs. Capcom:Chaos.  This game pisses me off to no end and here's my story.

SvC:C came to one of the local arcade a few months after it was initially released world wide and it had everything opened from the beginning.  Currently there was nobody playing the machine so I pop in some quarters and begin fighting against computer with Terry Bogard and I'm kicking it's ass pretty good so I'm thinking "Wow, this game is sweet!"  Then some little kid comes around and pops in some quarters to play to me and he picks Violent Ken.  I didn't know what to expect from him so my first attack on him was a jump kick, bad mistake.  Instantly he had me in an infinite dealing with his dragon punch and his teleportation, he'd mix in a super combo now and again, but he'd always continue with his infinite, I was dead.  Next round he was able to start a combo that launched me into the air via a special move cancel and once again.. dead.  I'm standing there like "What the hell?!"  I literally just walk away from the arcade.  When I get hit and from there I have no oppertunity of winning I just walk away.  So I go home and practice this game like crazy until I mastered the cancels and I go back to the arcades and I play some people (using Kyo) and I'm pretty much doing what happened to me, special move cancel infinites.  They're getting so pissed off at me because of what I'm doing.  "Oh me god you're so cheap!"  "You suck!"  "Play me fair!"  Is stuff they'd say.  So, I decided okay, I'd stop doing the cancels with my next opponent.  He picks Chun Li.  We have a normal fight, playing mind games with each other which was pretty fun but then as soon as Chun Li went into her Maximum Guage he was able to combo me until I died.  The people around me are laughing "Hahahaha!  That's what you get!  That's what you get!"  Then next round I lost too.  I relinquish my spot and head to the back of the line.  This guy with his Chun Li takes everybody out (so now everybody at the arcade is pissed at both of us) and it gets back to me again and I get back and picked Terry Bogard.  The first match I make a mistake, I'm comboed to death with an infinite.  Next match he made a mistake, I combo him to death with an infinite.  Third match he wins cause of a mistake I made.  I walked out of the arcade, it just wasn't fun.  Matches determined by who makes the first mistake without a chance of a comeback, bleh.

Before SvC:C I had stopped playing Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I just can't compete with people who are good with Magneto.  Magneto can be anywhere he wants to be in one second and if you're on the ground it's over.  It's somewhat scarey not being able to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 unless you use a team who works well in the air, because anybody on the ground Magneto can dominate and stay in control of the match.  I was good in this game, but when the Magneto revolution come around I usually liked to stick to the ground, so I was nothing.

Capcom vs SNK2 pisses me off because people have figured out the now roll cancels.  Or should I just call them what they really are, temporary invincibility.  It's so annoying now with people that if you do something they can instantly roll, roll cancel, and catch you with a super combo since they're invincibile through your attack.  I loved this game because it was mostly about mind games, but when the roll cancel stuff was discovered I was done with it.

I've always hated Guilty Gear X and Guilty Gear XX in the arcade.  The programming for those games are garbage.  Easy infinites, combo loops, throw infinites, throw priority, burst infinties, combos that lead to destruction moves which you have no hope of escaping, it all just got to me.  I have especially learned to hate Sol Badguy.  He's god in that game.  I remember my first time playing against a Sol Badguy player, he was able to just run up to me, throw me, and just dominate the entire match from their.  I could barely touch him.  Whenever I did touch him he just did a burst infinite.  Grrr...

Tekken 4 I just can't get into it.  Matches of Tekken 4 are just two people stuttering back and forward, each trying to bait the other person to leave an opening for an attack, then quickly a big combo is launched and the fight is over.  That's it!  It's no fun.

There's a Virtua Fighter 4 machines, but i never see them get played too much.

It's like the only time I have fun is playing the older games at the arcades with some people who still play them but that's rare around me to see somebody playing an older game.  So usually it's just me playing against the computer.

I think maybe I should just retire from fighters.  I've seen videos of King of Fighter 2003 in action and it looks like more of the same.  DuoLon as I've noticed has an easy infinite that is way too easy and I already see it getting exploited alot in videos.  Maybe it's just the fact the competition is tough around my way which is good.  I don't know.  Fighting games just aren't fun to me anymore. 

You know, I really wish there was a Garou:MOTW arcade machine my way, I love Garou:MOTW, but I've never seen or heard of one in the US.

You need to get into VF 4 man. It is the best fighting game ever made by far! If you practice everyone has a fighting chance. You don't have to worry about that cheap crap in VF 4. Once you go VF 4 its hard to go back. Oh and i suggest you get VF 4 evolution for the PS2. Practice and than return to the arcade and own everyone. Hey its only 20 bucks.

:P Vf4? Yeah right, button masher galor!!! Yeah i have svc:c too, some old guy beat me up with iori and he was doing his 360 monstwer infinity 99 two-thousdan one special. The guy was like 35, it was weird, that game is stupid, play SFIII, it's all about skill in that one, once you master the parry it's over. Oh yeah i saw one GMOTW arcade machine when i went out of town, it washard since i didnt really know how to use a joystick. Play the regular kof, but i really hate when they about that roll cancel.