What size HDDs do you guys/gals have?

Emu Newbie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know the biggest hard drive the xbox console could handle without corruption?

This is a good question. As we've said XBPartitioner will set the cluster size as high as needed depending on the drive's size, but I don't know if there's a limit on that. I wouldn't want to go above 1TB anyway coz 128k clusters is a lot of wasted space when there's lots of small files in a folder. And I wouldn't quite feel safe anyway. The stories of data corruption on partitions over 512GB put me off going any bigger than a 500GB drive anyway. I think 500GB is plenty big enough for an Xbox. The only reason my 250GB drive is full is coz I have all my games on the hard drive, coz I don't like getting up to put CDs in. I have almost a hundred games squeezed on and emulators, but I can't quite fit the full romsets on, which is the only reason I'd bother upgrading. 500GB would leave me with all my games, and all the emulators with full romsets, and still leave loads of room for music and movies if I wanted. Darknoir makes a good point about the availability of IDE drives though, the biggest I've found still available on UK retailer sites is a 500GB WD. Higher than that and it has to be SATA, and I wouldn't wanna have to use an adapter either.

Hi, good topic :D

For my part i want upgrade my 250Go too ...

But the real question before upgrade is ... how many place we must have for use all the emulators ith all roms and all EXtras ?????

Because for films i use too a NAS with 4.2To lol

On IDE we can find easyly 500Go HD!

Some 750Go HD exist ... but nobody sold them :(

All is SATA now ... and if we want use them on xbox, we must use a chip and an adaptator for that ...

Do you think a 500Go HD is good for all the emulators and the ResX project ?

Thanks

I have a 1tb Sata (obviously) with an adapter. The adapters are pretty cheap and simply plug in. No need to modify anything so I wouldn't limit yourself based on that. But to answer your question I think that a 500gb would be more than enough unless you plan on putting a bunch of xbox games or movies on there as well.

I am pretty sure 2tb is the limit at this point because it gives you the max split partition size of ~1 tb under the max cluster of 128k

You can get a 500GB for around £60 in the UK. Say somewhere under $100 in the US. Usually the pattern is the bigger the drive the better value for money coz you get more GB per £/$.

Check www.pricewatch.com and search for ide drives. Try to find something WD thats not refurbished and you should be good. I only say Western Digital because thats what I've had the best luck with. Pricewatch will find you the best price at whatever given moment.

I just recently upgraded to a WD 320GB brand new for $45. Found a great price on amazon. XBPartitioner automatically formatted all the extra space to the f drive and it was a breeze to set up. I'm now enjoying about 100 games and all the emus and roms i can handle.

You're not going to find decent sized IDE drives anymore, for anywhere near decent prices. A 500GB IDE drive will cost almost you what a 1TB SATA drive will these days.

$60 for the 500GB IDE one on average, where you can get a 1TB SATA drive for like $80-$85. Better off getting an SATA drive and an adapter.

I just recently upgraded to a WD 320GB brand new for $45. Found a great price on amazon. XBPartitioner automatically formatted all the extra space to the f drive and it was a breeze to set up. I'm now enjoying about 100 games and all the emus and roms i can handle.

Could you give me a link to that hard drive on amazon?

Could you give me a link to that hard drive on amazon?

here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD32...681&sr=8-11

right now its $56 with free shipping new from amazon, but independent sellers can sometimes give better prices after shipping costs.

not a bad price at all.

here is one more link to a very similar model (same stats, also western digital) which costs just a bit more, but if you decide to watch the prices for a while, it might go down, but i doubt it:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD32...8995&sr=1-2

btw, sata drives are definitely cheaper, but i have heard some people have had trouble with adapters, so imo i would just play it safe with pata.

hope this helps!

Edited by Neo369