CoinOPS IGNITE vs MAMEoX128 Plus

BritneysPAIRS

CoinOPS IGNITE vs MAMEoX128 Plus  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I did (and you should be able to guess who even if they log into CoinOPS forums all the time...why read stuff to critise if they never use it ;) )and why dont they put there name and reason here... let it out into the public and share the love

I didn't post my reasoning because, quite frankly, you don't seem to take criticism very well. You obviously have your own vision of what you want CoinOPS to be and that's great, but having tried the latest version just yesterday I can say that it's just not the MAME for me. I will explain why if you want but a lot of it comes down to personal taste so it will likely make no difference to you.

First off I would say that the GUI just doesn't look good to me. 128Plus with the dark blue MAMEdOX skin looks far more polished in my opinion. The large screenshots CoinOPS uses just don't work for me at all, they look stretched and blurry to my eyes. Also the game names are missing version details. This is confusing when you have more than one version of a game such as the 2P and 4P sets of TMNT and the clone is listed as the main set and the parent is listed as 'TMNT Extra'. CoinOPS is obviously not designed for people with large and diverse ROM collections so that's a big minus for me.

The options seem a bit messy. The first thing I did is enable the advanced options as I like to have as much control as possible over my emulation experience, but I was disappointed. In 128Plus there are many more options and they are all categorized, neatly laid out, and it's fairly clear what each of them do. In CoinOPS you have fewer options but they are all lumped together in what seems like no particular order and some of them aren't even correctly or intuitively labeled (Linear filtering is marked as Anti-aliasing). And on top of that when I first changed a few options to make things the way I like them the whole thing just crashed on me. I also wanted to change the default folders to those that I have my 128Plus ROMs and screenshots stored in. In 128Plus you can set up all the paths via the GUI but in CoinOPS I had to go into the TDATA folder to do this.

A lot of the in game options also seem to be missing. For example, if I don't want Start+Select to exit back to the game list there seems to be no way to remap this as there is in 128Plus. I could go on and on about things that are missing and things that others have already mentioned elsewhere, but there's no point because you've stated many times that these things have been omitted intentionally to avoid what you call 'clutter'. Again CoinOPS is clearly not designed for users like me that like to tweak and customize.

I'm glad those who enjoy CoinOPS enjoy it and I'm not saying you should change anything but I'll carry on with 128Plus myself as I feel it's a much more faithful port of MAME and it simply looks better and works better for the things I want.

Good luck with the project.

Excelent, thanks for your answer :)

But if you are a collector like me, and if CoinOPS upgrade his Skin with Viedo, previews, infos, etc ... it is not the same ?

What is better for you in oX128 please ?

Bye

sure I fix the issues at source some like to fix stuff up themselves and tweak it the way they want.... this build is more dev friendly but I killed alot of dev features in the release build as games wont want them... but behind the scenes the dev features have increased many tyo help me out alot

Theres one big reason why the Coinops releases are better than 128plus for me: coinops works with the vga bios. It looks great on a vga lcd monitor and that saves me a ton of room when I've got lots of hardware stuffed in a cocktail cabinet. LCD means that things run alot cooler too and I don't have to worry about fans and ventilation as much. BP also has been kind enough to listen to some of my complaints/suggestions, and (even though hes pushed back some of the menu screen rotation stuff I need) hes been working on adding things in for me. At least I hope he is... its hard to be patient sometimes.

Lets face it, MAME can be intimidating for people first venturing in to it on any platform. I think BP's vision is a mame that just works right out of the box for people that want to play the big classics and not have to deal with VMM and button config issues.

Do I use other versions of MAME? Sure I do. On my many xboxes I've got MAMEoX128plus, CoinOps R2, Coinops R4 and mamedist-b6 (b6 is just for Mortal Kombat) all coexisting peacefully. And like most of us I'm closely watching FBAxxx's progress as well. Each one serves a purpose. An xbox is the cheapest and most versatile machine you can get either for emulation or as a media center and I'll be using mine for a long time to come.

Both R2 and R4 because R4 is the newest thing out there (I was testing out sound in the MKs) and R2 cuz thats the last release that has the proper screen rotation settings in the hidden menu! The screen I'm rotating is small and isn't permanently installed in anything yet and I've got it leaning against my entertainment center. I've also got quite a few boxes around using different setups for different machines, tvs and monitors...

Edited by RedCapsMan