Paul Newman, actor, dies at 83

Alpha

t1homenewmansplitapkg0.jpg

Paul Newman, actor who personified cool, dies

JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer 34 minutes ago

Paul Newman, the Oscar-winning superstar who personified cool as the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money" — followed by a second act as an activist, race car driver and popcorn impresario — has died. He was 83.

Newman died Friday at his farmhouse near Westport following a long battle with cancer, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men" at Connecticut's Westport Country Playhouse, citing unspecified health issues. The following month, a friend disclosed that he was being treated for cancer and Martha Stewart, also a friend, posted photos on her Web site of Newman looking gaunt at a charity luncheon.

But true to his fiercely private nature, Newman remained cagey about his condition, reacting to reports that he had lung cancer with a statement saying only that he was "doing nicely."

As an actor, Newman got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Academy Awards 10 times, winning one Oscar and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

"There is a point where feelings go beyond words," Redford said Saturday. "I have lost a real friend. My life — and this country — is better for his being in it."

Newman sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray.

They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer." Newman also directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie."

With his strong, classically handsome face and piercing blue eyes, Newman was a heartthrob just as likely to play against his looks, becoming a favorite with critics for his convincing portrayals of rebels, tough guys and losers. New York Times critic Caryn James wrote after his turn as the town curmudgeon in 1995's "Nobody's Fool" that "you never stop to wonder how a guy as good-looking as Paul Newman ended up this way."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people," fellow "Absence of Malice" star Sally Field said, "and Paul Newman was one of them."

[more]

What sad news ... he and Robert Redford made two of the greatest movies together. Paul Newman was probably one of the best and well known actors of all time. He will surely be missed. R.I.P.

Paul Hasbeen is to old to be cared about, famous people should take advice and die when they're famous, otherwise the world will barely whimper for the only words a person will say when the news gets mentioned will be "He was still alive?".

Paul Hasbeen is to old to be cared about, famous people should take advice and die when they're famous, otherwise the world will barely whimper for the only words a person will say when the news gets mentioned will be "He was still alive?".

Well sir you "did" come along way from the "lulz" and such. And you have taken measures to better your life with school, and we have spoken on matters of quite a serious nature. But my friend, you are young and do not really know what you are talking about. It is true... Bruce Lee died at his prime, (physically) and he will always be known as "THE BADASS" so no one will know an aging Bruce. But he would have made a ridiculous impact on films if he were to have lived. He would likely have directed many films, and made a great many existing films... even more badass. Imagine the Matrix fight scenes coordinated by Bruce... instead of that hack Yuen Wo Ping. What a joke he is...

General populous generally suck anyway... so who cares if the world over doesn't weep collectively.

I'm glad he at least lived to the age he did, as we have guys dying at age 50-60 so far this year. I actually don't recall any of the movies I saw him in. I could look it up right now, but that is not the point. I remember he did have a great presence, you could believe in him... he wasn't full of cheese, which is hard to come by.

The world has lost a great actor. I think I might check out a list, and catch some of his flix.

R.I.P.

He wasn't just an amazing actor, he was also quite the humanitarian. He was a very charitable man. I don't think a man should be remembered just for being on screen. He was actually somewhat of a hero since he had the means to help others as he did.

He's awesome. R.I.P