google releasing its own browser

Inky

Flashblocking/adblocking I'm doing externally as it isn't incorporated into Chrome yet. The only small thing I'm missing is the 'Reload Every' feature from Opera/FF. Otherwise it's super smooth, uses literally a 3rd of the RAM that FF does, and is very clean, open and minimal - just what I want.

One thing which I found very useful as a reference - hitting Shift+Esc brings up a Task Manager which gives memory/CPU usage per tab/site. Now I can see which sites are memory hogs and which aren't. Pretty neat feature.

Edited by gavin19

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested, far too minimalist.

I find it kind of refreshing. It's lacking some things. Some MAJOR things like being able to scroll by clicking on the mouse wheel. It blows my mind that I can't do that. I didn't realize how much I used the scroll wheel button. A more robust bookmarks/favorites thing would be nice too.

I like what I see so far, I like a clean and simple looking browser though. it is hella fast. I'm kinda surprised my gmail isn't integrated into the homepage or anything.

This is the first beta release. I'm sure they're going to roll that stuff, as well as Google Reader, Google Docs, Calendar, etc in future releases. There was a nice article I read earlier how this could be a major challenge towards Microsoft because many people believe web apps like this are the future. They're already ahead of the game.

I didn't know this but Chrome has been in secret development for 2 years+. A guy at another website I visit is one of the founding members of the Chrome team and also works on Firefox at Google.

In an interview with the Mozilla Foundation CEO he said that 85% of their revenue comes from Google...now they're competition is Google. Interesting stuff.

Not interested, far too minimalist.

I find it kind of refreshing. It's lacking some things. Some MAJOR things like being able to scroll by clicking on the mouse wheel. It blows my mind that I can't do that. I didn't realize how much I used the scroll wheel button. A more robust bookmarks/favorites thing would be nice too.

I like what I see so far, I like a clean and simple looking browser though. it is hella fast. I'm kinda surprised my gmail isn't integrated into the homepage or anything.

This is the first beta release. I'm sure they're going to roll that stuff, as well as Google Reader, Google Docs, Calendar, etc in future releases. There was a nice article I read earlier how this could be a major challenge towards Microsoft because many people believe web apps like this are the future. They're already ahead of the game.

I didn't know this but Chrome has been in secret development for 2 years+. A guy at another website I visit is one of the founding members of the Chrome team and also works on Firefox at Google.

In an interview with the Mozilla Foundation CEO he said that 85% of their revenue comes from Google...now they're competition is Google. Interesting stuff.

Didn't one of the main devs of Mozilla co-create Chrome? also as long as people use Google search in FF they will still make money that and people are resistant to change as IE still has the market share. So it will be awhile before FF is obsolete.

I don't know about privacy polices as them owning double click ad firm and people going out all Google from desktop search to email and browsing activities thats alot of eggs in one basket for my liking but thats my 2 cents.

With the privacy issues with phorm I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Edited by Bobdrakke

Yeah I know where you're coming from with privacy issues but Google owns my soul so there is little I can do.

And the Firefox main dev you're talking about is Ben Goodger I think and yeah he was one of the original Mozilla guys and now Chrome. And Darin Fisher.

Well after using it all day I have to ask you guys, where did you d/l Chrome?

It hogs more memory then FireFox, flash sites (IE:Youtube) actually freeze up my browser mid-video from time to time, and when I torrent it actually takes at least an extra minute to load pages when compared to FireFox.

Me no likey, me go back to FF3!

I didn't have any problems when I used it for a bit yesterday. but I didn't do any 'tube. I did some torrents and didn't notice anything.