The MMA Thread

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

word on the street is Forrest vs Anderson at UFC 101.

they need to raise Anderson's stock and this is the fight to do it.

I don't know Belth, that seemed like a pretty solid left hand to me.

Naw, I don't think it was so powerful. Besides, Liddell is supposed to be able to take hits like that. I know him as the guy who you cant tell just got hit. And in reguards to his personality, he isnt such a douchebag anymore... but also, he isnt fighting as I remember either.

I don't know Belth, that seemed like a pretty solid left hand to me.

Naw, I don't think it was so powerful. Besides, Liddell is supposed to be able to take hits like that. I know him as the guy who you cant tell just got hit. And in reguards to his personality, he isnt such a douchebag anymore... but also, he isnt fighting as I remember either.

Have to disagree with you my friend. Shogun is a explosive and powerful striker. If you need more ocnvincing check out his fights with: Alistair (fought him twice) Little Nog, Ricardo Arona, The Snake, and Quinton Rampage Jackson.

I knew Shogun was going to win if he came in shape, injuries and cardio seemed to be what has held him bakc lately. So far it seems like he has fixed that problem.

Shogun is just an incredible fighter and Ice Chucky has always been a bit overrated in my eyes.

My post about his striking skills in another forum..

Fighting grappler's with limited striking skills and/or power while champion does not help much either.

Randy is a solid and experienced striker with good head movement and basic fundmentals. He lacks explosive striking and devastating KO power. He's reflexes and fighting style is catered more twords dirty boxing/Greco clinch fighting.

Babalu is a decent/above average striker that is just good enough. Still not the striker that can truly test Ice Chucky though.

Tito is a ok striker, still lacks any real power in his hands standing and seems to panic when engaged. Tito can strike as we have seen in his fight with Forrest and Rashad, but he still favors wrestling, never really fully commits to outstriking an opponent in a fight.

Vernon is a good striker but is a journeyman.

Alistair is a amazing striker but gets sloppy at times and used to gas like crazy.

Mezger is a great striker, but seems to lack power and had already fallen to gatekeeper status by the time Ice Chucky fought him.

Wand is a good striker with explosiveness, speed, and brutal power. He's style also plays right into Ice Chucky's hands. Big props to Ice Chucky though. He beat a good striker in Wand and proved that he is capable of besting a quality standup fighter. Even though Wand is not to technical himself either.

By the way, Shogun exploded in at Ice Chucky full force with a solid left hook, most would not survive such a shot.

Also it has been confirmed Inky, Andy Silva IS fighting Forrest Griffen. Going to be an awesome match!

In other MMA news, Machida (my favorite fighter) hate risen to a whole nother level.

Check this site out: http://www.geijitsu.com/

I admit it's pretty hilarious.

But the influx of MMA n00bs and redneck WWE converts that only want to see sloppy brawls is astonishing.

Have to disagree with you my friend. Shogun is a explosive and powerful striker. If you need more ocnvincing check out his fights with: Alistair (fought him twice) Little Nog, Ricardo Arona, The Snake, and Quinton Rampage Jackson.

Im not arguing that he isnt, but that hit only had power from the rotation, there was no further extention / contraction. Im not saying his strike wasnt hard, what Im saying is Liddell usually shruggs hits way way better than he has been. I need no further examples of said power, that wasnt in question. That hit that sealed it, was among other strikes, I know. The hook did land behind the ear, so that magnifies the impact... All Im saying, is that hit did not seem to have what I thought it would take, to take Liddell down.... ok yea, just making sure that made sense. Liddell is loosing it.

Im not arguing that he isnt, but that hit only had power from the rotation, there was no further extention / contraction. Im not saying his strike wasnt hard, what Im saying is Liddell usually shruggs hits way way better than he has been. I need no further examples of said power, that wasnt in question. That hit that sealed it, was among other strikes, I know. The hook did land behind the ear, so that magnifies the impact... All Im saying, is that hit did not seem to have what I thought it would take, to take Liddell down.... ok yea, just making sure that made sense. Liddell is loosing it.

Well, it was a Fedor like left hook. Curving the fist inward and hitting with the index and middle knuckle is very powerful. As far as extension go's I think Shogun nailed it, he got full reach and was able to explode inwards fast. It was also a counter shot:

34sm9m8.gif

The ones you don't see coming tend to hurt you the worse. Also, the punch did not land behind the ear, landed more on the cheek/face area.

Maybe 5 years Ice chucky may have recovered, one thing is for certain though, he was not facing the caliber of fighters he is facing today.

Ohhhh I was thinking of another hit for somereason. Ya got me... Yeaaa it was a counter, but still, that metrix of the strike seem less than the tolerances that I have measured of Liddell. It just seems that it shouldnt have hurt him so. Yea... Liddell is facing more and more skilled fighters. I never really liked the way he fought anyway. I just really liked his sprawl and recover ability, plus his ability to absorb hits and maintain composure... until lately that is.

Still though, that punch scores so / so in my book. I believe it being a counter is what sealed that particular hit. He was over extended. I will give him this, he nailed him with that one. There is no way he could have hit him harder from the position he was in.

But yea, Liddell was totally outmatched. He looked so bewildered.

lol that white guy try's to play to the crowd, and the black guy rushes him again. that's what I like to see.

I have an irrational dislike for a few guys.

Liddell, Matt Hughes, a few others. they just remind me of high school/captain of the football team douches. I also have issues with guys who showboat to much in the ring. like evens, koschek, a few others.

Fatal what do you think of the Evens, Machida fight next month?

I really hope Machida wins.

Ia m surprised you don't like Ice Chucky or Matt Hughes. What kind of fighter would you be if you were a fighter?

Or pro wrestler, I remember you being a big PW fan.

Belth = Big John Stud

Inky = Tomco

Fatal = Machida

Seems fair right? hehe