Mario Kart Wii gets an 8.5 from IGN!

Alpha

mariokartwiiboxboxart16gl2.jpg

8.5 Presentation

IR supported menus, great Mii integration to hook the casual crowd, strong use of Wii's functionality, and another entertaining mascot racer. One of the best console Karts in years.

8.0 Graphics

Not mind-blowing, but charming and polished. True 16:9 is met with 480p, some decent effects, nice model work, mixed offerings in track design, and nice retro worlds. Runs at 60 frames.

7.5 Sound

The Wii-mote speaker is actually helpful, the music is classic (elevator) Kart, and the character VO is only annoying sometimes. DK, we're looking mostly in your direction.

8.0 Gameplay

Core gameplay is great, with tricking and bikes adding a whole new level. We could use a faster cc class though. Annoying rubber band AI makes 150cc a chore, and cheapens GP.

9.0 Lasting Appeal

Local play is fun, but online rocks. Rankings, full ghost integration, reliable online play, smooth connections, Wi-Fi tournaments, and more make this one a must-have.

8.5 Great (OVERALL)

(out of 10 / not an average)

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/868/868012p1.html

And from GameRankings: 83% Average (As of April 20th, 2008)

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/942008.asp

Overall, not too shabby. Everyone is saying the online play is following XBOX Live, and that it is that damn good.

Is this the first Wii game you gotta p2p online?

No, and it's not p2p, as far as I know. I know Super Smash Bros. Brawl also had online play. I'm not sure of any of the other games.

this will never be as good as the n64 version.

its easily better than the n64 version (the mongaloid sheep of the series), even if you play with the crappy wheel. snaking -as a means to win- has finally been nerfed, and the online infrastructure has been adapted to counter all the player-related problems mario kart ds had.

...but unfortunately yes, it does use the friendcode system, though it gives you the option to invite any friend you already have added on your wii, making it a little less painful.

Edited by basilbr

Its a quality games, and thats for sure. Had some friends over the other day and we played it for a good solid few hours, then two of them left and me and my mate both played online (It features split screen online). Its a rad game, if your a Mario Kart fan, this games is the shiz.

And no more snaking makes online fun again.

It isn't always wise to say that the 1st installment to a series was the best one. It's one thing if it's actually true, but some people just need to accept the fact that things evolve. This game looks 3 times better than the original, and I would prefer it over the original any time of the day.

I found Mario Kart 64 the best in the series, but to me thats because of the memories I have with it. I think the reason most people like the original best is because its the game that holds all there cherished "Mario Kart Goodness Memories" (There real you know).