Reznor Makes $750,000 Even When Music Is Free

Jitway

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails made headlines again this week as he released his new, four-part instrumental album Ghosts I-IV, at a variety of price points, including a $300 super-deluxe package. He's also giving away Ghosts I at no charge, even throwing the tracks up on The Pirate Bay for anyone to download. And it appears to be working quite well for Reznor, who has managed to sell all 2,500 copies of his $300 package without major label backing or much in the way of splashy marketing. If Reznor's earlier experiments in digital distribution failed to recoup their costs, he's clearly learned his lesson: grossing $750,000 in the space of three days isn't a bad haul for any businessperson.

With Ghosts, Reznor had some obvious advantages. NiN is a better-known brand with a devoted following, and Reznor's strategy of using multiple price points made his music easily accessible to fans. Those who wished to pay nothing could download a free version of Ghosts I. For $5, a digital version of all four albums was available, and for only $10, fans could get all the music on CD along with an immediate digital download. $75 and $300 deluxe versions were also made available and include things like a Blu-ray disc, a DVD of the multitrack audio files from the project, videos, deluxe packaging, and more.

Nice to see his second attempt at this was quite a success not like his first attempt which was a total bomb.

Way to go Trent glad to see Music is not all about the RIAA.

Full Story HERE

I posted about this but no one gave a crap. flock you guys.

and flock censoring.

Well I am sorry if I did not see your post. When and were did you post it?

It's always been my strong belief that the average musician doesn't make much from album sales. now I'm not talking about the latest flavor of the week who goes double platinum in the first week. but everyone else. they get their money from touring their asses off, selling merch and playing show after show.