Blue-ray wins HD format war

Robert

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I stayed out of it. but I'm not convinced on bluray for movies either. Digital distribution is where we are heading.

I'll never buy a Blu-Ray dvd/player. I really don't give a damn about seeing a few extra trees and bushes in the background of some action scene. DVD and VHS have and will always be sufficient. Unfortunately, humans will remain sheep and waste their money on anything that is "top of the line".

I'm not happy that Sony won the wars, but I guess we're going to have to just deal with it. Hell, there has recently been rumors and speculation now that Microsoft will be making a Blu-ray add on for the 360.

well bluray isn't sony exclusive. it is just what they backed. and they deserve a win after they lost vhs-beta wars back in the day. and they lost cd-minidisc after that. and memorystick-sd now. lol. one win out of 4!

Hell, there has recently been rumors and speculation now that Microsoft will be making a Blu-ray add on for the 360.

It's actually a very old rumour based on a quote taken out of context from some MS rep at the time of the HD-DVD player add-on's release. It went like "we're not taking sides... if Blu-Ray wins we may end up making a BD-ROM add-on too."

It was flat out denied by Microsoft ages ago.

+1 for PS3

:)

I don't think it would be a big deal for Sony at this point. By the time HDTV penetration gets to a decent level and people actually start caring about Blu-Ray, people will have already decided on their console of choice and the install bases will be pretty much set.

At this point I touched nor HD nor BluRay. DVD still is the medium to be to me. Counting games, movies and data.

Maybe we indeed see in 2 years what will happen to those formats. But at the mo the newer stuff to me still is like MiniDisc back in the days. Seeming "so cool and comfortable" but just being complicating and mostly expensive as hell.

A friend told me some animation movies he watched lookin' breathtaking on BluRay. But I still doubt everybody can afford a new hires TV, matching equipment, the players (ok PS3 solves this for owners) and further the movies preferred on expensive disks. Too much saying "No", not?