PS2 Modchip Coming in Memory Card Form

JKKDARK

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gaming/ps2-modc...form-291310.php

No longer are you forced to break open a PS2 to solder a modchip in or swap off the top for the disc switching method to play "homebrew" games on Sony's previous-gen console. The Vast memory card modchip, coming in two weeks, is a plug-and-play only device that lets you bypass the PlayStation 2's security by just sticking it into the memory card slot. The OS boots any PS2, and then launches your copied homebrew games after.

Homebrew will be so easy and better now :punk:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on MC, theres not a shred of supporting evidence here, like even a developer. Not to mention the article on Gizmodo has points in it that were NOT clearly stated on MC, but they seem to have added. The MC article doesn't state specifically you don't need to swap or anything of the sort.

I fail to see how this is possible, and I'm VERY skeptical, but we'll see. I have 3 PS2's and 1 has a partially installed Crystal Chip 2.1 in it (I have to fix a solder splash, but I've been lazy....3 PS2's at my disposal).

Something like this would be awesome if real.

I'm glad I didn't buy a used PS2 yet. If this thing is for real, I'll buy a brand new Slim PSTwo.

I've also read that if it is real -- hackers are immediately going to try to grab the ELF file so you can put the exploit on any memory card. Now, that'll be the day.

I'm glad I didn't buy a used PS2 yet. If this thing is for real, I'll buy a brand new Slim PSTwo.

I've also read that if it is real -- hackers are immediately going to try to grab the ELF file so you can put the exploit on any memory card. Now, that'll be the day.

Probably so, the article fails to mention which ps2 model it will work for, Though i sorta've doubt how that can be a problem even now.

Hopefully this is true and not another hoax.

I think it could be possible if only because similar Memory Card exploits work already. Right now you still need a pressed disc and cogswap to load a backup with the Independence exploit - maybe this VAST thing has found a way around that?

The Independence Exploit has nothing to do with the Magic Gate though, it's a buffer overflow exploit in how PS1 games are loaded by making a call to Sys Configs Title.DB, nothing more. The only way a claim like this is possible, is if an exploit was found in the authentication routine of the so called "Magic Gate" when loading the system configuration.

Even then it would have to be an injection of sorts, relying on a bug in something the PS2 does on startup with it's checks for memory card(s) I would imagine.

I reckon the use of MagicGate in this exploit is bs. The authors might just say that it is encrypted with an individual Memory Card's MagicGate ID, so that you'd have to buy a card off them, and not just download the ELF and copy it to your own.

From what I've heard, the PS2 does check Memory Cards for updates at startup. I don't know how true this is though since as far as I know there are no firmware updates for the PS2- updated DVD players etc still run from the card itself.

Update ....

Seems like you'll have to patch the ISOs for the PS2 games to get it work with the new memory card exploit.

Also, another competitor revealed they've also been working on a product that uses the same exploit for the last 2 years.

First ever pictures of a NEW device which will mod any PS2/Two via the use of a memory card ONLY! A short while ago, we broke the news that a new product was to be released for the PS2/PSTwo which essentially gives all the functionality of a mod chip but from a uniquely designed memory card. However, it would seem as if VAST will not be the only product with such capabilities! Today we have received an e-mail from a team which claims they have been working on their own PS2/PStwo mod chip memory card device for TWO YEARS, and with the announcement of VAST, the time had come to officially announce their offering. The new product is a 100% MagicGate compatible 32MB PS2 memory card which works on all un-modded PS2/Two systems in the same fashion a memory card does. Using the supplied software, it will be possible to upload and download files via a USB Connection which is built into the 32MB memory of the memory card product. We are yet to witness the hardware design of the VAST, but we must say the hardware design of its rival sure looks very advanced. Again, upon insertion of the pictured memory card, the PS2/Two will become fully unlocked allowing you to enhance your gaming experience with unlocked saved, additional operating systems, emulators, media and other related homebrew goodness. We were also told that full specifications and a website will be unveiled relatively soon.

memomodik2.th.jpg

Update ....

Seems like you'll have to patch the ISOs for the PS2 games to get it work with the new memory card exploit.

Also, another competitor revealed they've also been working on a product that uses the same exploit for the last 2 years.

First ever pictures of a NEW device which will mod any PS2/Two via the use of a memory card ONLY! A short while ago, we broke the news that a new product was to be released for the PS2/PSTwo which essentially gives all the functionality of a mod chip but from a uniquely designed memory card. However, it would seem as if VAST will not be the only product with such capabilities! Today we have received an e-mail from a team which claims they have been working on their own PS2/PStwo mod chip memory card device for TWO YEARS, and with the announcement of VAST, the time had come to officially announce their offering. The new product is a 100% MagicGate compatible 32MB PS2 memory card which works on all un-modded PS2/Two systems in the same fashion a memory card does. Using the supplied software, it will be possible to upload and download files via a USB Connection which is built into the 32MB memory of the memory card product. We are yet to witness the hardware design of the VAST, but we must say the hardware design of its rival sure looks very advanced. Again, upon insertion of the pictured memory card, the PS2/Two will become fully unlocked allowing you to enhance your gaming experience with unlocked saved, additional operating systems, emulators, media and other related homebrew goodness. We were also told that full specifications and a website will be unveiled relatively soon.

memomodik2.th.jpg

is... is that a USB interface on that card?! OMG that's seeexy <3