PS2 Modchip Coming in Memory Card Form

JKKDARK

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FreeVAST.

A MagicGate signed file to be used on any memory card with the same functions as VAST. Will be released in 4 weeks.

People have been talking about that site for more almost 2 weeks now and most believe its absolute bullshit. I saw a few of the posts from the members of that team on the MaxConsole forums -- they were getting a lot of heat. Just because a site has some text and a fancy logo doesn't make it legit be quick. :)

Update ....

Seems like you'll have to patch the ISOs for the PS2 games to get it work with the new memory card exploit.

Are you serious?!? What's the point of it then if you have to patch each and every game you have, even ones that you've already burned? I don't like patching my games. I'd rather keep using something that will run the game as is. I sure hope this isn't the case in the end. I'm already using a Independence Exploit atm so I'm satisfied with that for now (except for the fact that I had to tear apart my network adaptor so my 40GB hard drive would connect to it). I've only had one issue with it not loading the next area on Xenosaga Episode 1 but the only reason I have it on my hard drive is because it loads faster then the actual disc which I do own.

Ok so i only read the first post and skipped to the reply box, but ive read this news article and theres something that confuses me

This has been able to be done for YEARS, Why has it taken so long?

All you have to do is burn a CD-R with the correct files, boot the CD-R on either someone else's PS2 with a mod-chip, or do the swap trick or use boot discs, it loads an exploit onto your memory card, and your done.

Then all you do is put the memory card in any PS2 with or without modification and it will load the exploit and you can play burns and even play games off the HDD!

So WTF they are just selling pre-loaded exploit cards? The only cache to the way i do it is you have to custom built your exploit card to a certain game, so you need the game you originally used as well as the memory card. Is this one like that too?

If i remember right it was called an ELF loader, and you would load the Exploit Elf, the HDLoader Elf, and the ELF loader itself, and that was it after some annoying process on the computer of building the CD-R image.

EDIT: okay i went through a couple posts and if you have to patch every game to work with this "Card Modchip" that would make sense and i beleive its the same exact exploit im talking about, because the ELF loader depends on the SLUS of the disc in order to load, and thats why you need it. But then again im not sure if it would load using a burned copy of the disc you used to make the exploit, i think you need the original. But i really have to get to class now heh.

The ELF Loader depends on a few things. A PS2 (not PSTwo) for the exploit to work, a PSX game to rip off the SLUS and the actual PSX game. While I think FreeVAST is BS at the moment, VAST has been shown to work on both the PS2 and PSTwo. The PStwo as you know, had the buffer exploit fixed, yet it works with it !

Unless FreeVAST ends up being real, teh world explodes.

The other thing is that the current exploit doesn't let you boot backups. It lets you run cogswap or whatever you like, but you still then have to swap in and out a real disc and the backup disc.

Apparently VAST will let you boot a burnt game right off the bat.

Well yes so it would seem. But it appears to be a trade-off between disc swapping and having to patch each game to be compatible with Vast. If this patching of games is required then people will not only have to pay for Vast, but also invest a fair bit of money in blank DVDs, not to mention the time needed to patch/burn each game.

In other words, it doesn't exactly seem worth the hassle if you already make use of the independence exploit. The money used would be much better spent on an external HDD to eliminate discs altogether ( yes i know HDLoader isn't 100% compatible ). Not to mention it's coming out way too late in the PS2s life cycle.