Why has 1emu suddenly gone gay?

I see no ads. But i have adblock Plus :P

Shame on you mate, really shame on you.

---

Some sites (including mine) have acutally switched from graphical and contextual ads, to the standard (& the unblockable) text-link-ads. Most webmasters say that text-link-ads does better because it more professional than any other type of ads (pop-ups being the least professional). Text-link-ads is all done in PHP/ASP (server-side) rather than Javascript (client-side).

huh??

Edited by GoRDoOnE

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, what money? You think this is a profitable enterprise?

Then what the hell is the point? They should really be removed if they don't bring profit to the site at the expense of denying our right to not be assaulted by spam...

I knew what was the problem really, I was using IE6... lol... But now Firefox is blocking them just fine.

And L.S.D. I doubt you ever do click the underlined text adds, they're just totally annoying and useless. And it's interesting to see people how they talk about forceful adds as being "professional".

Even with ABP disabled, the ads aren't that bad on here. Far from it compared to alot of sites.

If you don't like em, start helping pay server costs or find something to deal with it. This thread is useless, self-serving and an attack on a community you are SUPPOSED to be a part of. Now you just look like some lame noob outsider.

I stamp this thread with the stamp of "Severe disapproval"

It costs a lot of money from my own pocket to keep 1Emulation and our network of websites running. How much money do you think we make from the advertisements we have now? Almost zelch. It's people like you who love to bicker and complain and never give a little back.

These past few months I have been so busy that I have been unable to generate enough for the 1Emulation fund. Even today, I had to drive to the nearest bank to deposit a check for this place, otherwise the account would bounce. The amount of money coming in has always been far less than what has been going out.

Remember, there is a reason for everything.

First off, I do not love to bicker and complain. Secondly I had no idea how expensive this place was or how much money you need to generate to keep it up. After seeing adds pop over the place, those small ones just seemed like overkill to me. I had no idea. So I'm sorry.

@Cinder: You've always been so damn hostile. I'm not attacking the community you dumbass, I was just voicing my opinion, and I'm probably not the only one who thought of it. Now I understand it's far more complicated than that so I'll knock it off. Your response was immature and uncalled for. I may not be a shining member of this community but you're a lot worse. Go ahead and call me "noob outsider" all you like, won't change the fact that your personality is no greater than that of some angry frustrated 60 year old geezer.

First off, I do not love to bicker and complain. Secondly I had no idea how expensive this place was or how much money you need to generate to keep it up. After seeing adds pop over the place, those small ones just seemed like overkill to me. I had no idea. So I'm sorry.

@Cinder: You've always been so damn hostile. I'm not attacking the community you dumbass, I was just voicing my opinion, and I'm probably not the only one who thought of it. Now I understand it's far more complicated than that so I'll knock it off. Your response was immature and uncalled for. I may not be a shining member of this community but you're a lot worse. Go ahead and call me "noob outsider" all you like, won't change the fact that your personality is no greater than that of some angry frustrated 60 year old geezer.

OUCH, i think you guys need to get laid and lower your testosterone level a bit.

Well I'm sure webmasters don't like ads neither, but most of them don't have a choice because they got to make revenue (money) somehow and displaying ads is one of the best way of making revenue. They need revenue to cover the cost of hosting :D

Edited by Hexter

As long as the ads are not annoying and blocking what I want to see, I don't really care for them. I click on the main ones once in a while but that's pretty much it. It's really not a big deal.

lol, what money? You think this is a profitable enterprise?

Then what the hell is the point? They should really be removed if they don't bring profit to the site at the expense of denying our right to not be assaulted by spam...

The point of the ads are to offset as much personal cost to GameCop as possible. The fact this site doesn't make any money while GC still fronts a considerable bit of his own money and time shows his dedication to this community and the scene. I think it is unfair to begrudge GC from trying to recoup some of that cost. It's one of those things where it makes you really thankful to all of the volunteer admins, mods, and news posters. I think we really have some of the best news posters in the scene because of their dedication and thoroughness. And as Cinder said, the ads are not that bad. Hexter knows the deal because he is also a web master so he understands what it takes for a site to survive. How's this, if I ever become rich then this site won't have to display ads. Till then you can just ignore them. :D

We hope you understand our predicament.