Nintendo warns against the use of modchips!

Alpha

Here is a direct quote from Nintendo themselves regarding the recent influx of mostly Nintendo Wii modchips.

Perhaps you are not familiar with mod chips, but nevertheless we would like to draw your attention to some important information.

Modification microchips (mod chips) circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install a mod chip into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components.

The use of mod chips voids the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, the installation of a mod chip can damage the functionality of a Nintendo console, sometimes rendering it incapable of repair. Mod chips have been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Most European countries have also already adopted laws prohibiting the circumvention of technological measures for copyright protection. People caught installing or selling mod chips may be subject to criminal charges.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...se-of-mod-chips

----

My only comment towards this article is that I think Nintendo should mind their own business. Let the consumer do whatever they want to do with their product once they purchased it. If they void their warranty, then it's probably more money for Nintendo in the long run with the modchip failure rates.

In recent news, Nintendo has also updated the hardware in their Wii's to make it much harder than before to solder in modchips -- solder points even before were damn impossible.

What's your take on the situation?

Yeah, once you've bought something with your hard-earned money (or gift money or whatever) you have the right to do whatever you want with it. That something is yours after all.

Yeah, I believe you should be able to do anything you want with your product. You should be able to take the risk of installing a mod chip into your system if you want. I still believe that we wouldn't really need these things if games weren't so expensive these days and didn't suck.

They're just stating the obvious that it voids the warranty. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Even so, most stores (EB, GameStop, etc.) will replace the system for you (if they don't inspect it superclosely, that is) as long as you have the warranty receipt. When I voided the warranty of my first DS my attempting to install FlashMe, I got it replaced free of charge with no questions asked. All I had to do was show them my receipt.

And yes, once you buy a system, it is yours. flock with it all you like.