My new SMS/GG emulator project

olaf

Looks like I better start collecting some roms for this when you release it. I am truly impressed. BTW, you said earlier about adding sound support but never said if you actually had or not.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I have not added in sound. This will more than likely require the help of someone else, as sound is *absolutely* not my thing. I haven't asked anyone yet, but I know someone people who can. Let's not be disgruntled that sound support will be a little late! Also, I have added layer disabling, below are some screenshots of it in action.

olafsms-layer1.PNG

No layers disabled.

olafsms-layer2.PNG

The background layer disabled.

olafsms-layer3.PNG

The sprite layer disabled.

Well, I was unhappy with the way full screen mode looked (stretched graphics causing ugliness), so I fixed it. Now, when switched into full screen mode, olafsms will scale the screen properly in relation to the Sega Master System's original resolution (which most emulators do anyway, but I was having trouble with). I have also added in saving of screenshots and the option to switch into full screen mode when you load a ROM.

Last, but certainly not least, I've done some rather extensive work on how input is handled. I made it completely configurable (vbSMS was not configurable at all) and added a configuration window for it. In related news... I've added support for PC gamepad input! What's great about my method for this is, the buttons/directions are technically mapped to your keyboard configuration, and it also detects PC gamepads "on-the-fly". If for some reason you decide you don't want to play with the keyboard anymore (or some other off-the-wall situation), just plug in your PC gamepad without closing/restarting the emulator! Below are screenshots of the newly updated configuration windows.

olafsms-wfs.PNG

olafsms-wi.PNG

Also, Mooney, I'm thinking about making a release pretty soon.

Actually, the full screen toggling is done with the Esc key (like Project64, an emulator I use very often). Also, I just fixed background layer disabling (the column on the left won't show anymore when that layer is disabled. The difference can be seen below when compared to older screenshots.

olafsms14.PNG

Edited by olaf

Had to rename "olafsms" (even though it wasn't the final name anyway) to vbSMS+. A lot of people in the SMS emulation/gaming scene didn't like that I completely renamed the project and put my name in the emulator title. I can see where they wouldn't like that, and I don't want to make anyone mad at me. vbSMS+ makes a good mid-point in between renaming and not using the original name.